Boost Bottles and Manic Mechanic Intake Manifolds

GoldenMotor.com

aaronbentzel

May 2, 2012
York
Hi! I am rather new to the motorized biking world and I gotta say I am LOVING it. I am thinking about purchasing a boost bottle from bikeberry. When I was looking I came across 3 types of performance intake manifolds by manic mechanic. One was specifically for a boost bottle set up, and one was for a CNS carborator. Since I already have a CNS Carb, would it be more benicial to buy the boost bottle intake manifold or to buy the CNS port matched intake manifold without the pre tapped whole for the boost bottle? If I buy the one for the boost bottle, will it still compliment the CNS carb like the intake manifold made specifically for the CNS carb?

Also, I saw a setup for dual boost bottles. How is this different from one boost bottle? Do they both converge at a single point to enter the intake manifold or are there multiple holes that need to be drilled? I guess what I
am asking is if the Manic Mechanic boost bottle intake manifold will work for the dual boost bottle set up?

If you are confused as to what I am asking, here are the links:

Boost Bottle Intake Manifold:http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/performance/manicmechanicboostintakemanifold.html

CNS Carb intake Manifold:http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit...-high-perform-carburetor-intake-manifold.html

Dual Boost Bottles:http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/performance/dual-boost-bottle-induction-kit.html

I would appreciate any comments from someone who has more experiance with these than I do! Thanks!!!:-||

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I hate to break it to you, but boost bottles may or may not actually make more power depending on how you set them up....as for the mm intake, good luck, he's no longer in business.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yes! Yes!

An Xpipe, an NT carb, and a clamshell sprocket adapter...

You would have an entirely new motorized bicycle! ...nearly... :)

but i suppose it would be fun to tell people you are running a boost bottle

Best
rc

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I still don't understand how a closed bottle is supposed to be able to fill up with the back pressure from the intake, and then inject it back into the engine.

You can't force air/fuel into a closed bottle, or suck it out. It is not like the expansion chamber on the exhaust, that is an open tube.

Even if it could hold some of the blow-back pressure, wouldn't the path of least resistance be to blow back through the larger carb opening, rather than the 1/4" boost bottle tube opening?

I truly cannot see how they could possibly work, other than by magic power!
Maybe I'm not familiar with all the inventions that come from the land of the Faerie or something. rotfl

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Actually, there is sound theory behind the use of a boost bottle.
It has to do with volume of the intake tract, and the pulse which exists within it.

The question is, how much improvement can actually be obtained?

Biggest bang for the buck is an Xchamber.

Proper reeds are expensive and really should be integral to the design.

IMO :)

Best
rc

aaronbentzel

May 2, 2012
York
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the knowledge. It just does not make sense why they would waste time and money trying to market a product such as a boost bottle other than to try to make money off people like me who do not know a whole lot about them. However, many of the negative comments I have read about them are from people who "Know some one" with one, or it is just their opinion that they do not work. Has there actually been any real testing of these devices? Like does anyone actually have any documented results? I would be interested in hearing about these results.

Also, what kind of carb would you recomend getting?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
As for the boost bottles....I would say if you put one on, and it does nothing, then they "don't work". Or, if you "know someone" who installed one, and it does nothing, then they "don't work". If they are perfectly set up, and of proper construction, then they can add some power in certain range of rpm.

However, more often than not, they are purchased on ebay, by people who are not sure which end of a screw driver to hang onto, and slapped on a low performance, non-reed engine because they "look cool" and were promised huge power gains by the seller.

I do recall a couple of motorcycles that tried them for a short time, but that was just it....a short time. If they were the end all of performance mods, I'd think that every two stroke in existence would have run them.

Just my not-so-humble opinion. :)

Last edited:

Rocksolidperson

Feb 11, 2012
Australia
get a set of reed valves, hey are what boost bottles are supposed to do, but reeds turn the engine into a whole new creature, look at them in my signature.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the knowledge. It just does not make sense why they would waste time and money trying to market a product such as a boost bottle other than to try to make money off people like me who do not know a whole lot about them. However, many of the negative comments I have read about them are from people who "Know some one" with one, or it is just their opinion that they do not work. Has there actually been any real testing of these devices? Like does anyone actually have any documented results? I would be interested in hearing about these results.

Also, what kind of carb would you recomend getting?
Aaron, I think 'Boost Bottle' sounds KOOL!

I would buy one, just so I could tell people I got one!

Fun stuff!

The member ship here is NOT negative. They are actually too busy having fun, to get into a negative mode!

and far as I can tell, only a few will admit to wearing white smocks during the day and peering through microscopes or gas chromatology analysis devices.

Without doubt, the best evidence in favor of boost bottles will be found presented by those who offer them for sale.

Here, on the forum, the members are primarily interested in getting a little bit more power from their small engine.
If a boost bottle worked, general consensus would be that they are something worth doing.
To date, that has not been the case.
Any number of folks have used them, and some have made threads on how to fab one from simple materials, at home.
Basically, they have fallen by the wayside.

...and it is MY OPINION, they might be of some benefit if suitably constructed for the application.

If you would be willing to sponsor dynamometer time and a small pile of chinagirl engines, I'm for hire! I'll wear a white smock and promise to take REALLY good notes! :) I'll deliver every bit of data to you, and you can sell or publish it at your pleasure.

Deal?

:)
rc

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I honestly do think they have a placebo effect. They look kinda like a nitrous bottle, plus if the seller says it's gonna work for what ever they charge for them, then they must, right?
;)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Boost bottles aren't supposed make more power... They're supposed to smooth out the powerband a little. (But they dont really work on these cheap piston ported HT engines). Save your money. ;)