boxer disc brake questions

GoldenMotor.com

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas
I am trying to figure out what brake to use. I can't tell what kind of hydraulic disc brake will fit with the clearance the rear of my boxer has. I know easy rider has Hayes 9 brakes but don't know if its a front or rear on the back since the boxer frame mounts the caliper on the right side of the bike. My BB7 mechanicals I have won't fit on the right side. Clearance issues and the piston is offset in the wrong direction. I will try and illustrate in images.

see the offset of the caliper? Won't allow it to sit on the adapter right

also once I got everything officially aligned the wheel is not in the center of the swingarm. Not sure what to do about this? When I try and put the pedal side chain on we will see how it lines up.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I see your point.

Even if you could reverse it, the cable would pull the opposite way.

Pipelyne knows exactly which brake to use.

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas
I want to use Shimano m595 hydros. Found a really good price on them and they apparently have an incredible amount of bite. I haven't had the best of luck with Dean but Easy Rider is helping me take care of everything.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
All we use are Hydraullic brake. I've been using the same Hayes 9 brakes that I took off my old bike.
Mechanical brakes will not work

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas
I understand that. I don't have any intentions of using those just wanted to make sure I hadn't done something wrong to have that little of a clearance between the brake adapter and disc

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
That does look uneven. You might have to grind down a little of the front adapter holder (closest to the wheel) that's part of the frame but I would wait until you get your new brake first and make sure its aligned.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Did you get the spacer's for both sides of the rear hub in there? That wheel needs to be more centered.

I am running the Avid Elixir 5

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
On my bike both spacers are the same size. You may have the dish of center with your spokes? Learning how to maintain spokes and tension them correctly is a mandatory experience with these bikes in my experience. Its not really hard to do once you get the hang of it IMHO.

As for brakes I am not sure what I wanna use yet? My present Boxer has the Gatorbrake on it I had a problem with the brake itself. I was definitely under the impression mebbe I could use one of my BB7's? Guess not? I have not really looked at mine just yet. Been so busy and overwhelmed with work related projects just have procrastinated.. I ''really'' need the mounting adapters from SCSW . As I am sure I can't just slap what ever on there every time I looked it over... I don't want to have to fab something.

I have one nice Hayes 9 hydro left in my stash away. It was meant for another ride. Would not mind trying out a Elixir tho heard nothing but good stuff about them!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I have one nice Hayes 9 hydro left in my stash away. It was meant for another ride. Would not mind trying out a Elixir tho heard nothing but good stuff about them!
During the Willow Springs race, I blew out my front Hayes 9 so I bought an Elixir at the local bike store. (BTW he got me good for over $180 just for the front brake only. no rotor)
Even though I felt I've been bent over by the bike shop, that brake has been pretty good! You can even adjust the squeeze or handle.