Anyone Using Rear Disc Brake Adaptors?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I using disc adaptors on my rear , do you need the hub adaptors or caliper mounts ? the caliper mount can be found at bicycle designer, cant help you on the hub mounts tho, sorry.
Gary

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
5-7Heaven,

Looks like the Brake Therapy Conversion: http://shop.therapycomponents.com/Brake-Therapy-Disc-Brake-Conversion-kits_c7.htm

It could be a knock-off - I don't know. Brake Therapy kit measurements are different than the Ebay vendor. Brake Therapy uses hub width while the Ebay vendor uses the size of the bike. Just be aware when comparing.

Looks like the hub mounts are included with the Ebay kit. No hubs are included with either kit, but the Brake Therapy does list compatible hubs that may help install the Ebay kit.

Also, the Ebay vendor does sell a 170mm kit.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
5-7,
One of our Denver guys has disc on the rear. F_Rod81. Maybe he'll chime in to tell you what he did and how. I've seen it but I don't know the details of what's involved.

As for welding; just look for a guy who knows aluminum. Check around locally for a welding shop. That small of a job couldn't cost much.

Tom

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You mentioned you have v brakes right? I thought the ball link went over the v brake post-no?
Yes, it does.

I'd like to use my son's Raleigh 7-speed cruiser-type frame. It has the cantilever frame, but rear frame dropouts are wide and accept multi-speed cassette.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I use an A2Z adapter on my mountain bike (unmotorized). I got the A2Z adaptor on EBay.
I recently bought a non-running pocket bike for parts. I think I can adapt the front and rear disk caliper mounts from the pocket bike to my motorbike.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
5-7,
One of our Denver guys has disc on the rear. F_Rod81. Maybe he'll chime in to tell you what he did and how. I've seen it but I don't know the details of what's involved.

As for welding; just look for a guy who knows aluminum. Check around locally for a welding shop. That small of a job couldn't cost much.

Tom
Thanks, Tom, but welding shops charge by the hour @ journeyman's rate. In other words, a LOT. I can see a possible helluva nightmare with the repair shop, if they screwed it up.:-||.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

This is for a center-framed 6hp 169cc Robin/Subaru engine. The rear disc brake might not allow a left-side sprocket, tho.:-||

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
i'm using that one right now but haven't yet put the motor on the bicycle. i use the bicycle as a daily rider. a couple of time i've had to take the rear wheel off to change the cassette to a smaller one lately and another time for a reason i can't remember and i know if i don't use a washer with a hook on it that holds on to the frame and tighten the **** out of the nut holding it in the dropout it wants to work its way out. i have a large dropout hole area in the frame though and the piece wants to turn when the brake is engaged. i was actually thinking of wrapping wire around the frame and bolt to hold them in place. i want to get a new one that isn't so worn from going thru turning around and being banged on after i've been on the road without tools and it worked its way out of the hole and i banged it with a large rock to get it to go back in so i could ride home. there sold out right now though.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for the tip, man.

The frame should arrive soon. I'm leaning towards the Brake Therapy Components adaptor. I'm hoping it works well with whichever hub I choose.