help on making or buying a strobe circuit for my tail light

GoldenMotor.com

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
First off, I have never built a circuit. I do understand that electrical systems work by keeping smoke in the wires but that's about it. I would love to build my own flashing circuit and would really like some supervision on the project. I'm looking for either a place to buy an already built one (which would be no fun) or a sources for each components I would need. What I really like is someone to post links to parts and I could buy them all together as a kit. I know I'd need resisters, transistors, and capacitors from the research I've done but I have no Idea how it goes together. Maybe someone could give me an education on each component and how they work together.

here is the system I have on my bike.
2- 12v 55 watt halogen headlights
1- 12v LED tail light Walmart.com: Blazer 4" LED Oblong Combo Marker Light, Red: Automotive
1- 12 volt 8 amp SLA battery
negative ground on bike frame

My plan is to use a switch on my brake to turn the strobe circuit on or off when I pull the leaver.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Super simple circuit using just a relay and capacitor, choose 'A' or 'B' for the flash more to your liking, A= long on, short off, B=long off, short on:

Last edited:

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
that's great I'm still a little confused on what I should buy. Is 1000 uf a type of relay? and what resistor should i buy?

I should of posted this picture before but this is what I was thinking. would your circuit work like this?

Attachments

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Also, I would think that there should be a resistor in the "brake off" line, so that it is dimmer than when the "brake on" line is used.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I'm still a little confused by your diagram. Can you draw it in plan language? what is NC and NO? If I put the switch to NO on the bottom switch does that turn off the strobe? and what does the top switch do? A and B wires look like they do the same thing?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Average current will be less, but don't forget, you will have a relay that draws power as well, so any LED savings will be negated by the relay.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The flash rate can be changed by changing the value of the capacitor; larger uF = slower flash rate.
Additional circuitry is needed for strobe effect.