Running a Refrigerator off the White Wire

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Okay this was mentioned in another thread as a joke but it got me thinking. There are lots of interesting things that can be run off of 12vdc for RVs and camping. I use a 6v SLA to run my lights. I run the white wire through a cheap rectifier to charge my battery, nothing new there. Here is where I need the expertise of the electronic engineers here: I know that there is away to build a circuit called a "voltage pump" or something like that that can boost your output volts using transistors and what not, how hard/complicated is this circuit to make? And would this circuit allow me to charge a 12v Battery with my white wire?

Because if I could charge a 12v battery with my white wire I could modify a RV refrigerator or an auto AC to keep my drinks cold while I am motoring. Crazy maybe but I know a few of you guys on here think this might be a good idea. I am not convinced it is practical or even a good idea but it might be one of those things that you might do just to say you did it. But the side benefit of a 12v system charged by the white wire would actually be a good thing.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
That is what I am talking about, now we just have to figure out how to charge a 12v battery.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have another thought . The way this type of cooler works it is just a tiny 12 volt DC fan ether blowing on or sucking air off a little aluminum Freon block. One direction makes the cooler hot inside the other direction makes it nice and chilly! I forget for which way the fan needs to blow? Pretty sure its needs to blow air on the block to make it chilly cold inside.

So a little food for thought sounds kewl me here typing it at the moment! If the little aluminum block on the cooler just needs air to be blown on it. Going down the road could be all you need to make this work so to speak? No doubt you will still need the fan.

Found some links for ya;)

Vector Travel Console Cooler/Warmer | eBay

http://www.google.com/#q=cool+box++...gc.r_pw.&fp=9d820c5439c605d8&biw=1023&bih=653

Now I am kinda curious if'n this works? Would have to read up on them or just get one and play with it lol. My grand father had one years ago if one of us was thirsty we had to take it out a little early as the sodas would be froze. I remember that cooler was very simple. It had no temp control on it really you had cold or hot. All it had was a simple 12 DC fan. That was twenty years ago. They look fancier now?

I looked just don't know what there about now?

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Here is an alternative if you need a cold drink.

Instead of modifying it to run a 12v fridge, why not get a mini usb fridge instead?

Something like this that already runs on 5v usb. Only fits one can and you would have to convert the 6v white wire to 5v ac but much more doable I would think.

You can also find them on ebay for cheaper. Keep a couple extra cans in your cargo area and have cold drinks as needed.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
My research has shown that charging two batteries in Parallel would work with out a problem. So two 6v would be 12v if wired to output in series. SO the new question is: Is it possible to wire two batteries to charge in paralell and at the same time discharge in series? It would be easy enough to wire a couple of switches so I am either charging or discharging, but it would be ideal to not have to worry about it.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
To boost 6V up to 12V, you can use what is known as a 'charge pump' which is available as an IC, or a voltage doubler circuit that can be constructed out of diodes and capacitors.
You can also use a Peltier junction inside of an insulated box or Igloo container

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Step outside of the box, and up to a stand-up scooter motor with the built in electric starter. While running the sucker outputs around 70 volts and a few amps.

Sure you'd have to redesign the drive train but you could power the fridge and a small tv. THey set up 12 volt battery charging too for'em.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Refrigerators typically use a lot of power, even very small ones. A voltage doubler would get the output up to 12v, sure, but that power has to come from somewhere. As a consequence, it will about half your amperage.