Help From You Metal Workers Wanted

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm making a bracket out of aluminum to mount saddle bags. I have it formed to the shape of the fender, side to side. Now, how can I bend it to the curve of the fender, front to back in other words.

I'll post a picture of it shortly.

Terry

Last edited:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i doubt that you'll ever get that beat into the shape you want. the metal is to thick. it will need to be hamered and put through a shrinker. and that looks to thick. i'd try to just trim it so the top loop part is the same size as the strap part. or make the loop strap part out of light gage steel and bolt the aluminium plates to it.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Hmmm, what if I cut back the top part to make it not so wide? I would think it would bend pretty easy then. My idea on the top piece was I would need the width for better support.

New idea. I have some 3/4"X1/8th inch aluminum metal. I could attach it to the bottom piece (2 per bag) in the shape of a "V". The braces would attach to the fender. Plus that top piece cut down so it can bend. Thoughts?

Terry

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Fulltimer, That bend will be quite a challenge with out machinery of some sort. If you can brace up the fender why not just rivet on the saddlebag hangers to the fender? Just a thought. Dan

Estaban

Mar 4, 2011
Chicagoland
The load from the bags is going to be transmitted up the strap, trimming the front and back shouldn't compromise that, unless your planning on carrying bricks in your saddle bags....also you should radius the corners, sharp angles will be stress failure points

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
The load from the bags is going to be transmitted up the strap, trimming the front and back shouldn't compromise that, unless your planning on carrying bricks in your saddle bags....also you should radius the corners, sharp angles will be stress failure points
Thanks for the tip! I'll do that.

Terry

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
First off your working with a compound radius and you won't get what you want, as y;ou try to bend it it will spread,,,and that's a promise. I suggest that you use fiberglass or one of the super hard epoxies to form the fender radius, you may have to shorten the legs a bit for clearance.