New style CDI????

GoldenMotor.com

skyhawk66cc

May 2, 2011
Washington
I spent a good portion of my time last night and this morning trying to find the same CDI that came with my kit from gasbikes, I have looked far and wide and cannot find the same one anywhere. Mine was not rectangle, mine was egg shaped (looked like a silly putty container but a little bigger) and you could not unscrew the wire it had a metal ring crimped on it and was covered in a hard plastic goo???? It looks nothing like any CDI that I have seen on any of the websites even where I ordered it. New Design??? I was trying to install a new spark plug wire of better quality and in the process destroyed the CDI, I am going to order a new one and see if I get the same junk that I got with the kit. I will try to post a picture of it later tonight, if my wife hasn’t taken it to the trash yet. Anybody else got this new very low quality CDI yet?

-skyhawk66cc :-||

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The really sad thing is this stuff comes in by the 40 foot cargo container full...and the guys who order these things are stuck with selling a low margin kit with defective parts right from the factories, leaving the new purchasers holding the bag.

This includes things done and not done to the motors, like having undersized taps for undersized bolts. The head studs on a Z80 BGF will not take a SBP head stud screwed into a supposed M8 hole. The jug on a new 49cc is completely un_machined. I have seen engines that date back to the 1880's and they ALL have a machined mating surface to insure a good seal, but not the Chinese. Noooo, they have a better way. Even steam engines have machines gasket surfaces. But not the new Chinese 49's...

I'm selling off my PA and a air-cooled Morini at around $600 is looking reeeal good....

skyhawk66cc

May 2, 2011
Washington
My wife junked the CDI before I got home to save it and its now in the land fill somewhere, so I could not get a picture; I drew a picture of it. I’m not a good drawer so bare with me. Where the plug wire comes out of the CDI it has a crimp ring that holds it in place and then it is covered in a hard plastic and cannot be removed without breaking the whole case. The bottom of the CDI is curved to fit on the frame; I didn’t know how to draw that part. I ordered a new CDI hopfully I get the normal type so I can replace the low quility parts. The first picture is a top view and the second is a side profile view.

-Skyhawk66cc .xx.

Attachments

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
That's a cool looking CDI, aerodynamic-like, instead of a boxy thing that is the standard for these kits

To make you feel better about the quality of your drawings, take a look at mine, is this what the rear view of that CDI might look like?

. CDI REAR.jpg

skyhawk66cc

May 2, 2011
Washington
That's a cool looking CDI, aerodynamic-like, instead of a boxy thing that is the standard for these kits

To make you feel better about the quality of your drawings, take a look at mine, is this what the rear view of that CDI might look like?

. View attachment 35896
Pretty darn close to that lol, I call it low quility because it already was acting up it would get VERY hot to the touch after running for a few mins and the spark would become very weak, mabe a magnito problem?????? it did look kinda cool tho, compared to the box style.

-skyhawk66cc

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Perhaps it is a new cost-cutting design, to try to keep his engines competitive price-wise with others, after all, he did kick out a whole bunch of loot to satisfy the foolish new EPA regulations, after all he is passing those costs on to the buyer.