24 x3.0 True Heavy Duty Tube?

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I found one tube on line ordered it it is not a true thick thorn proof tube even tho they said it was. It was the right size. Finding this tube has been like a Mythical unicorn. I sure as heck don't want a undersized tube. To say it simply a tube too small will not work for me. I found a 24 x 2.0 2.5 tube ordered it it was a true thick rubber tube Guess what it useless too small for my tire.

These are true fat tires I am using Berm Masters. They are modeled off the old Coker type tires

Man I just want the proper tube for the job. Paper thin tubes do not fit my MO never have. These tires are made by the same folks that make the Thick Brick. I have my local Bike shop looking too! They say anything is on back order. So no time or availability is confirmed. I know its a rare size tire so I have learned this has been a tough go.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Those tires look similar to the 26x2 Continental Moped tires that I ordered from Europe. I'll follow this thread as I'll need a good tube to use when I'm ready to mount them. I have to get a good set of wheels first.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Fir a 24x3 tire I would be tempted to try the dual tube trick. If ya don't know that one, drill a second valve stem hole opposite the original and run dual tubes that way. Might need to baby powder the tubes before assembly. Tire-inside-tire might help too. I do that with my rear 26x2.2 tire.

I have never seen a "thornproof" or "heavy duty" dedicated tube for wider-than-balloon (2.125) 24". If you find one, please post the link!

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
My LBS has the 24x3 SunLite tubes in stock. I didn't realize how tough they were to find until I went looking as well. I really lucked out with this shop because he is very supportive of MB building and laced both my wheels knowing exactly what I was doing with them. He builds a great wheel by the way.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Just reading the thread "bicycle shops hate us" then read lowandslows post about a good LBS , seems to me this is a perfect use of the map project .
If you know of a cool shop add there location to map?
Just a thought ...

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Not familiar with a "map project", but the shop is Mikes Bike Chalet in Mesa,AZ.
Awesome customer service and he's cool with the motor in your bike.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Done. Good to know.
I stopped at a bike shop I had never seen before and knew right away that it was not the place to ask about anything having to do with MB's! The guy was wearing his spandex and jersey behind the counter!

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
In chicagoland the spandex war rages on !!!
I have been laughing about this phenom. For years , my back gate opens on too the local bike trail, so i know the spandex crowd very well.
i have thousands of pedal miles under my belt and now thousands of mb miles so ive seen both sides. At least once a year there is a brightly colored weekend warrior broke down behind my place. There always amazed that im able to fix up there fancy roadie wonder bike , then i explane that if your into this sport you BETTER be able to wrench your way thru a bike. Most of those guys cant even change out a bad tube? They rarely carry tools or spares of anything. Were all into the same things ,so why the tude? Almost cant wait to see what this season brings...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well I always went to a 2.5 mm thickness type tube. looks like the best tube I could find was mabbe 1.7 . Pretty rough on my mind when I know what has worked perfect and cannot find it. To make a long story short a real tube what I call a real tube any way, with about 8 ounces of slime and I never have to do anything to it again. I got tubes with over ten thousand miles on them. The first time I got to take my tire off well I will be upset.:(

Looks like I have no choice but to try two tubes like the Alemen said. not liking that. I am just set in my ways.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Problem solved!! Motorcycle shops Measure by the rim. Bicycle shops measure by the tire. The shop I went to the first shop too! [Motorcycle] After I explained this and got the guy to measure the tire bead to bead. The first tube he came out with was the right size! It was a thin tube thorotfl

I ordered this tube......Also there is absolutely no bicycle shops that carry or have a clue where to get a said heavy duty tube in this size. I would know by now lol.

Google

0350-0038 heavy duty tuff 2.5mm tube 70/100-19

Also Michelin Makes a sweet 4mm wall thickness that will fit the Surly 24x4.0 tire like it was made for it!! I did not get that skew number but will in about 4 days when I come to the shop for my bike tube.

Now this said bike tube has a metal shraider valve supported by nuts. I studied it and saw no problem adapting it to my install at all wut so ever. Frome the looks of it I am thrilled peachy .dnut

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

This image shows the tr-4 style schaider I will be using. When I studied this in my hands it is not much different than a normal bicycle type shraider that is all rubber. When I took the two nuts and pivot washer off the valve stem it looked like a regular shraider type set up at the base of the tube . . This is not a presta valve by the way! What I will do is prolly cut a small donut piece from old heavy duty tubing for safe measure to sleeve where the tube/tr-4 meats the rim. Dun deal. :) I prolly will not use the nuts or the base washer.

It has been my experience that nice heavy duty tube/tires don't drift around at all on my motor bikes. So for me there really is no worries about the valve core ever going cricked.

The more I look the happier I am seams I can go way heavy duty mm thickness!!!!!! Google

If I find this in 4mm for my 24x3.0 I think it will be a truly flawless set up......

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Google

looked a little more found a 3mm wall thickness IRC Japanese tube! Got it coming from BikeBandit.com I will report on the said two tubes when I compare them. Yet a 3mm wall tube is clearly better:)

If I got this right our bicycle rims are at 19.96 inches. So the tube is just a smidgen undersized rim wise at 19 inches. Hope this helps?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
87-5955 tube 70/100 -19 This gets you here. IRC MOTORCYCLE TUBES

Other numbers on this box are 2.50/2.75-19 This is the IRC IX-Motorcycle tube . Gotta say this tube is boarder of true over kill. It comes in a small shoe size box. Aside from needing a tire to hold the tube to the rim a guy could prolly just ride around on this tube bear. lol It is super freaky thick. I am not sure how all these manufactures are coming up with their mm wall thickness measurements but this has got to be 4 mm thick.

Both tubes came in and both are satisfactory to my liking. Weight management wise I think the Kenda tube mebbe better over all to try to cut weight on a bike..

I did some more checking on my Kenda down hill tubes 26x2.7 wall thickness that I have been running they are 2.35 mm and I have never experienced a failure with them.

Kenda is Taiwan IRC is actually Thailand for the record. That's what they say on the boxes anyway....

Something I always liked about these thick tubes however is they add considerable strength to a cheap tire in my opinion.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ok tried my first Tube out on my BoXer about two days ago. Bike finally came in. I was a little leary about how much stretching was involved. I used the Japanese tube. Lemme be the guinea pig for awhile on this one. If it survives I will report;)

I do like this fat tire a lot tho!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The tube arrangement I am still using has been flawless so far I am no longer feeling any apprehension about it.:)(^)

I will report if'n I ever do but doubt that day will ever come..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Progress report still running the same arrangement. It has been perfect! ''No tire liner and my Slime'' A very well proven long time favorite set up for me and not at all the experimental factor here for what I am doing... About 7 to 8 ounces of it was shoved in this tube. Not at all a unusual amount ether for the way I run these size tires.

The tube being a strange size is the only experimental factor here and I love it. I am giving this one a thumbs up at 1400 miles and no worry's at all at this point! The tire is riddled all over big time with Goathead stickers too at this point. I have re-hardened the tire a few times with more air completely normal for me. ''It never ever went flat on me or was unrideable at any point'' Thick tubes simply rule(^)

I am expecting 8000 miles and even more from this tube easy from past experience with nice thick tubes that were of a perfectly formed normal fit

My record so far is about 15,000 miles and then I am simply just scared of the tube at witch point. Said tube got reslimed when it started loosing air and saw about 4 tires. That tube was a Michellen and was a 26.X3.0 super thick! These thorns are rough here.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I finally ran into with this tube I was getting a soft tire about once a week with daily driving. ''never got a flat''I happened to look down and there was a tiny dot it was a picture framing nail drove strait flush into the tire could barley see it. Was almost drove through.

I pulled the nail out and I am no longer leaking. The presence of the nail was aggravating a good seal. I will do absolutely nothing but ride its already fixed. After I got the nail out it sealed up perfect! Gotta love a decent thick tube!:D(^) Its been like this for me for about 40 years now. No worries just ride!

Still on my said tire tube combo at over 2000 miles now my extra soft tire ''was thinking traction for our sand /pavement surprises'' is about bald now.

This tube is perfect and I will simply put it into a new tire done deal!