6 Volt Battery charger

GoldenMotor.com

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
I saw this
6 VOLT BATTERY CHARGER For Motorized Bike White Wire - eBay (item 400161986551 end time Oct-14-10 21:50:10 PDT)
on ebay and was wondering if anyone had one/knew how it works. I like this guys complete set and would get it but the price tag is just too steep for me, even this piece though relatively cheap could probably be made even cheaper. From what I read this takes the power from the white wire and charges a battery from that anyone have a schematic or idea of how i could make one of these???

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I think it was Scotchmo who posted a simple charging circuit that runs off the white wire. It uses <$1 in parts and looks like it would work well.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
just need to buy a bridge rectifier at radio shack about 2.99 if I remember right. Do a forum search and the wiring schematic should come right up.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
ya scotchmo i read that entire thread (13 pages of it) and derived that from it use the 1/2 wave with the diode, i think i will get a 6volt sealed bulb, i like that look, and then attach that to a 6c sla, i was wondering what the amp hour value you would recommend for that type of light?

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
ya scotchmo i read that entire thread (13 pages of it) and derived that from it use the 1/2 wave with the diode, i think i will get a 6volt sealed bulb, i like that look, and then attach that to a 6c sla, i was wondering what the amp hour value you would recommend for that type of light?
The size of the battery depends on the wattage of the headlight and how often/long you use it. If your headlight is <3 watts, even a tiny battery will do since the ½ wave charger can almost keep up with that load. If you use a high wattage headlight, the battery will only run it for a set period of time before you need to run with the headlight off in order to allow the battery to recharge. The brake light, horn and turn signals are intermittent and the charger has no problem keeping up with that load. I rarely run my headlight. I use to use a 6v 1.3ah SLA but now use 2x AA Lithium Lifepo4 batteries. I tend to use the lowest wattage components I can find and the smallest battery.

A standard 6v sealed beam is about 35 watts. Is that what you are proposing? That might be overkill for a 30 mph moped. You would then want a good size battery. If you intend to use it for ½ to 1 hour at a time, you will need at least a 6ah battery. And you will have to do 90% of your driving during the day in order to allow the battery to recharge.

Example:

If headlight wattage = 35w
and run time = 1 hour
then battery size = 35whr/6v = 5.83ah minimum
Recharge time (daylight use) 35whr/3 watts = 11.7 hours (and that is optimistic)

Things look a lot better when you use a small wattage headlight. The white wire charging system is suited to an intermittent low wattage electrical system. If you really need to use a large headlight for a good percentage of night time riding, then you will need to make other charging arrangements. An offboard charger can be used on it’s own or to supplement the ½ wave charger.