A quick fix to our lighting woes????

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I have seen a lot of posts where people either struggle with a poorly made lighting coil they bought on ebay, or battle their white wire. There are so many sizes and types of motorcycle and moped lighting coils on ebay (6-12v many different wattages) Is it not possible that one of these coils would fit in a chinagirl case and work with the stock magnet? If this is a bad idea tell me, a good idea tell me, if you've done it before, tell me all about it!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The shape and size of the coil is pretty much dictated by the in-frame/ between the pedals design of the Chinese 2 stroke engines. There are, as you said, probably a plethora of coils that could give more bang for the buck but the rub comes when you have to consider where the coil needs to be and the width/shape of the engine at that point. Several members have tried rewinding a stock coil to gain some umph, but the success has been marginal for the amount of work involved. If you decide to experiment and have any luck, please post your results as many folks would like to take advantage of a bit more juice, especially where powering lights is a consideration.
Tom