anyone ever built a engine for use with nitromethane?

GoldenMotor.com

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
update...finished the frame doing mock ups and running cables
still hunting a tank that i like or else ill just make my own

still working on the top end of the motor

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
i love the idea of more power faster but i got to agree with some of the people here and say that maybe you would be better suited to adapt say a ktmsx 50 motor or a morrinni and soup it up in the same manner remember that the metal used in theese motors may not be the greatest quality but if you have the spirit of burt monroe in youre blood this will b e a fun if not costlyprodject how well dose that kind of fuel mix with oil im interested as i know that alcohol conversions dont go well because of this problem

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
There are oils readily available that will mix with nitromethane-methanol based fuel. That is what model airplane glow fuel is. There are others but one that comes to mind is Klotz.

I raced R/C model hydroplanes for 15 years and typically used a 60% nitromethane-methanol fuel mixed with 20% oil. 60% is about the limit to get the oil to mix. Higher percentages than that and the oil will separate and stratify in the container.

Something you need to learn about that fuel is it is very corrosive. After running it in a engine the engine needs to be thoroughly flushed to get all that stuff out of it and then a preservative oil sprayed into everything. We used Marvel air tool oil. If you don't do that every time you run it your bearings will rust up within a week or two.

Jim

Lubo25

Dec 22, 2009
hamilton
with its large oxygen content the thermal expansion of the piston and cylinder with even 15%(methanol 60%, castor oil 25%) mix in your stock setup would seize everything up in no time, but you could run it if you run a really rich carburetor setup, teflon fuel lines(nitro is very corrosive), beefy forged/lightweight components, re designed compression ratio(lower for nitro at around 7.5-8:1), a nitro port layout, and degummed castor oil, but why to such a peasant Chinese motor??? nitro is uber pricey as well, it is not worth it unless you re engineer this engine ground up starting off with a 4340 crankshaft...

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Whatever happened to this guy? Guess that Nitro motor didnt work out so well. Ive actually run 15% nitro through one of these 2 strokes as a kid. It ran hard for a little bit until the engine seized.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Having used a fair amount of nitromethane and methanol in past years for various racing applications I tried to tell him with what he had to work with it wasn't going to work. Maybe he listened or maybe he didn't and found out for himself. Even if he could get it to run and that is not likely 3 gallons of nitromethane costs more than his engine.

Jim

TheViking

Jan 18, 2011
Nitrometane fuel is mixed with methanol which is alchohol.

nitro fuel is based of 3 parts

nitromethane
methanol
and oil...
its not alcohol based

This is wrong.

nitro fuel is based of 3 parts

nitromethane is a chemical
methanol is an alchohol
and oil...- there is no oil in nitro fuel
its not alcohol based it clearly is,
as a model airplane pilot, the nitromethane we use contains on average 16% castor oil. which is the oil fro which the deadly poison ricin is derived from.

in the words of a good friend of mine "that $hit'll get ya killed son!"

dylan1024

Oct 29, 2010
RSA
Most often nitromethane for RC use contains some oil for shipping purposes as far as i can remember they cant ship it neat.

i mix my own fuel
there has never been much piont in going more than 15- 20% nitro
most of the racing classes are limited to methanol and oil only and they out perform most

a popular 2.5cc russian engine is getting 1.4hp at 38000 rpm running 80% methanol 20%oil

ricin is derived from the caster bean, not from the oil. the oil can be consumed, if you like your toilet seat.

methanol also plays a role in causing a catalytic reaction with the platinum glow plug element, thus keeping it glowing.

i have run plenty weedwacker style motors on methanol ("glow") fuel, works like a charm
carb needs adjustment and thats about it

only drawback is cost