anyone ever built a engine for use with nitromethane?

GoldenMotor.com

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
I would like to know about this as well... I thought about how the Nitro works and I think it works the same as the two stroke fuel.. When burned it lubricates the cylinder, but is the nitromethanol any more volatile than gas?

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
it has a lower burning temp that gasoline so it will need a hotter spark to ignite it and keep it going to warm up...(hence when your try to take a nitro r/c to a parking lot on a cold day its hard to get it running)

but it requires wayyyyyyyyyyyyy less oxygen to burn

so you can run a richer mixture with nitro than you could with gas and get the same performance or more

it also has cooling properties as well so it can help a bit with the amount of extra heat generated from burning it....

its not as much the fact that our motors could not run it
they just cant on the internals they have from the gate with a stronger and lighter machined rod and piston
a stronger and and blanced crank
their is no reason it cant be done...

ive noticed alot of people talking about our cylinders being coated with Nikasil......
not a good thing
considering it can break down when using low quality fuels....

alot of auto companies stopped using it for this reason

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
yeah the oil's will work fine

just have to use the right mixture i think 15 to 20% would do fine........

im not claiming any set speed
just making a motor to run on a different fuel option
that could possibly grant more power and tuning ability.....

and as i stated before im not building this to put around town in...
to see how powerful i can make it.... i have access to materials and equipment to do what i want... **** if i wanted to i could get a titanium connecting rod made easily....

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
yeah the oil's will work fine

and as i stated before im not building this to put around town in...
to see how powerful i can make it.... i have access to materials and equipment to do what i want... **** if i wanted to i could get a titanium connecting rod made easily....
Then I say that you should get the Titanium connecting rod, and titanium everything else and hall some major Booty!! Would also like to see some youtube videos as well please... Thanks!xct2

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
i think its more like deisel. it dont burn well with out comression.
In this case "Nitromethane fuel" is alcohol based with nitro added. The catalytic reaction of the platinum in the glow plug (R/C glow engines) and the alcohol is what keeps the fire lit, not compression.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Will the oils used in rc model car fuels work for a bigger two stroke as well?
Let's do a little math...18% oil in R/C fuel is what, almost 5:1 fuel to oil mix? I'd say that's a little on the oil rich side don't you think?

Feel free to call me an idiot if you wish.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
P.S. nitro oxygenates the fuel so you can burn more, it does not "take more oxygen to make nitro burn". Nitro acts much the same way as "NOS".

Now having said that, are you guys talking about running alky based R/C fuel, or running straight nitro in with your regular two stroke gasoline/oil mix?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Finally, since it takes about 3 times the fuel in the fuel to air ratio to run alky fuels, do you guys really want to run 15 dollar a gallon fuel through your bikes?

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Mr Mikenite,

Graham Bell's legendary book mentions nitro fuel in his book a few times. Mostly in the carburation chapter.

http://www.kreidler.nl/artikelen/performance-tuning-graham-bell/performance-tuning-graham-bell.pdf

This book has a lot to say about using nitro methane in 2 strokes from a time when fuel testing was rare in off road racing...

Not talking about tiny glow engines here...

Some points from the book:-

Nitro is 53% Oxygen

20% Nitro to Methanol is about the limit for two strokes.

A little bit of nitro in a petrol mix helps power by 10% or so if the fuel/ignition system is made to take it.

16~20 to 1 Castor or Methanol compatible synthetic oil is required.

Ignition advance is required.

Compression ratio needs to be raised.

It (the fuel mix) is an accumulating poison that leads to blindness or even insanity.

It is absorbed by the skin and lungs, including the exhaust of a rich running engine.

It dissolves most fuel system parts including brass.

A run with petroleum based fuel is required after the race and a teardown and clean is preferred.

A 16% to 20% power increase can be gained from a switch to Methanol with high compression ratios, A further 10-20% could be gained by the addition of nitro fuel to the mix.

To summarise, you will need a methanol/nitro compatible carb and an adjustable ignition for a possible 50% power increase. Then constant rebuilds due to fuel based corrosion. That’s why we use hydrocarbons for transport… the self lubrication properties of long chain hydrocarbons work better inside an engine than the bipolar corrosive properties of organics.

The exotics make more power but destroy the engine parts with harmful by-products and corrosion,

Last edited:

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
Mr Mikenite,

Graham Bell's legendary book mentions nitro fuel in his book a few times. Mostly in the carburation chapter.

This is very helpful... I might mix just a little in my fuel.. A 10% gain in HP is nice, but it really seems like something horrible to constantly run.. Insanity and blindness are mot my ideas of fun. But going fast is ,so there might be a nice trade off! lol :)
xct2

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
In this case "Nitromethane fuel" is alcohol based with nitro added. The catalytic reaction of the platinum in the glow plug (R/C glow engines) and the alcohol is what keeps the fire lit, not compression.
nitro fuel is based of 3 parts

nitromethane
methanol
and oil...
its not alcohol based

your partly right on the plug keeps the flame a going but without proper compression it does not burn as well..a nitro motor will run on low compression just not very well or perform worth anything...

i never said "take more oxygen to make nitro burn"

i said "but it requires wayyyyyyyyyyyyy less oxygen to burn"

im talking about running straight r/c nitromethanol fuel's
experimenting with different mixtures and motor working's and seeing what happens...

as i have said a few times i dont plan on this being my ride around town vehicle.. this is a take to a track and see how much abuse and power i can push out of it with a method it seems nobody in this hobby has really messed with....

i have enough experience racing nitro dragsters to know that this will destroy the motor and it will need constant work on it after runs.....heck my top fuel runs 50% fuel to oil...its a grenade but its almost untouchable on the track.....
i guess im crazy but it seems like a fun project to me

Yes i know nitro is a very poisonous substance why do you think don garlits and top fuel drivers wear this kind of outfit lulz

all and all i dont endorse this as a good idea but i come from a long line of wrench twisting nitro fume smelling crazed rednecks..so the more dangerous and not possible anybody tries to make this sound the harder im gonna try to make it work....

but im along way from the motor im still welding a frame and making things fit.....

oh and the fuel is more like 40 bucks to 70 bucks a gallon and i have every intent to run my bike off of it
brnot

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Nitrometane fuel is mixed with methanol which is alchohol.

nitromethane
methanol
and oil...
its not alcohol based

This is wrong.

nitromethane is a chemical
methanol is an alchohol
and oil...- there is no oil in nitro fuel
its not alcohol based it clearly is,

Last edited:

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
im loving this thread i have no experience with nitro fuels so therefore i have no inputs but i can say i like the tension and im learning tonns and i really hope Mikenite can pull this off that would b pretty sick :D:D:D

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
nitromethane is a chemical= derived from propane.. propane is derived from the processing of natural gas or petroleum products... it is created from treating propane with nitric acid at a certian temp.... it is an organic compound.....

methanol is an alchohol= methanol is a form of alcohol... but its still methanol and not alcohol...it has an alcohol base
just because something is a form of something DOES NOT MAKE IT THAT EXACT COMPOUND..... so yes methanol is AN alcohol...but it is a specific type and that specific type is methanol...not ethanol or propanol or even butanol... it is methanol which is a FORM of alcohol much like the other's listed are also forms of alcohol....
but they are all different chemical compounds..

and oil...- only used in 2 strokes, not 4 strokes= oil is in four strokes just not in the fuel .. i dont even get what point you even had in saying that

its not alcohol based it clearly is, yes its clearly based with a chemical that is in the alcohol family of chemicals...but it's chemical name is methanol...if you want to referto everything that is an alcohol base as alcohol go right a head but they are all still different chemicals with their own names and properties....

like for instance .. your cousin is not your brother you may have the same base genetics...but he is still clearly you cousin..

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
like for instance .. your cousin is not your brother THEY may have the same base genetics...but he is still clearly you cousin..

sry had to fix that