Schwinn Super Sport Suitability

GoldenMotor.com

vonfilm

Apr 8, 2009
Austin,TX
I have a 1974 Schwinn Super Sport that I purchased new. I was wondering how suitable it would be to mount a 2 stroke engine kit on it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
I just finished installing a Silver Grubee Sky Hawk 66 on a Schwinn Mesa Aluminum frame. I had to do quite a bit of work to get it mounted. The frame mount saddles on the motor are for about a 30mm frame tube. My rear vertical seat tube was 1.125" and the front tube to the steering head was 1.750". I milled the rear mount spacer to fit the rear tube and made adapters to fit the front tube. I also had to remake the header to fit around the large front tube. I used a 3/4" copper 45° and two 3/4" copper street 45°'s. I cut the header off about 3/4" from the flange and routed the copper fittings around the front frame tube to get the muffler centered under the frame tube then Sil-Brazed it back together.

It is running now and works OK although I am going to go to a 50t wheel sprocket as it is not too good on even slight hills with the 44t sprocket. I'm 235#.

Jim

Snogcel

Aug 31, 2009
Westminster, CO
Greetings!
I'm sure the Schwinn Super Sport will work just fine. If I remember my Schwinn bicycle models from back then, the Super Sport was a ten-speed "racer" as they called them. I built my motorized bike using a Schwinn "Suburban", which is a 5-speed (no front derailleur shift), but with 27" x 1.25" road bike tires, and a more upright, "cruiser" style seating. It works just fine! The engine (low priced two-stroke kit) fit nicely into the frame, and with the bulletproof Chicago Schwinn construction, nothing has broken yet. (I had to upgrade the rear tire and tube, though. Frequent flats due to the stressful life the engine subjects the tire to.)

Good luck!