Iridium Ngk Spark Plug

GoldenMotor.com

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Again sorry for my ignorance but how do you run a spark plug without gapping it? My NGK 4085 Iridium just arrived, its gapped at .032". Thanks.
From the NGK website......

Since the gap size has a direct affect on the spark plug's tip temperature
and on the voltage necessary to ionize (light) the air/fuel mixture, careful attention is required. While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability
in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.

A spark plug's voltage requirement is directly proportionate to the gap size. The larger the gap, the more voltage is needed to bridge the gap. Most experienced tuners know that opening gaps up to present a larger spark to the air/fuel mixture maximizes burn efficiency. It is for this reason that most racers add high power ignition systems. The added power allows them to open the gap yet still provide a strong spark.

With this mind, many think the larger the gap the better. In fact, some aftermarket ignition systems boast that their systems can tolerate gaps that are extreme. Be wary of such claims. In most cases, the largest gap you can run may still be smaller than you think.

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
From the NGK website......

Since the gap size has a direct affect on the spark plug's tip temperature
and on the voltage necessary to ionize (light) the air/fuel mixture, careful attention is required. While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability
in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.

A spark plug's voltage requirement is directly proportionate to the gap size. The larger the gap, the more voltage is needed to bridge the gap. Most experienced tuners know that opening gaps up to present a larger spark to the air/fuel mixture maximizes burn efficiency. It is for this reason that most racers add high power ignition systems. The added power allows them to open the gap yet still provide a strong spark.

With this mind, many think the larger the gap the better. In fact, some aftermarket ignition systems boast that their systems can tolerate gaps that are extreme. Be wary of such claims. In most cases, the largest gap you can run may still be smaller than you think.
Oh thanks. I misunderstood outlaw's earlier question about these plugs. He said "do we need to gap these plugs for our bikes". I interpreted that as "do we need to gap these plugs" which is why I was wondering how you could use a spark plug without gapping it at all.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
by all means, gap it if you can, redb66 is right on the info,i was just shakey on gaping mine cause i have a cheapo gap tool, after using a feeler gauge on the plug,it came factory at .027 or close to it,i just didnt want to ruin the plug. it works for me and i dont need to get into fine tuning it if you know what i mean.

and actually, i was a little drunk when i wrote what u quoted me on, i really ment, what was the proper gap on the plug,cause if it was in the limits, i wasnt going to worry bout gapping it cause how delicate the plug is

Last edited:

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
by all means, gap it if you can, redb66 is right on the info,i was just shakey on gaping mine cause i have a cheapo gap tool, after using a feeler gauge on the plug,it came factory at .027 or close to it,i just didnt want to ruin the plug. it works for me and i dont need to get into fine tuning it if you know what i mean.

and actually, i was a little drunk when i wrote what u quoted me on, i really ment, what was the proper gap on the plug,cause if it was in the limits, i wasnt going to worry bout gapping it cause how delicate the plug is
hahahaha

I don't have the tools either to mess with it, I'm just gonna keep it stock at .032"

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
I went out on a mad search for one of those plugs, Advance Auto, NAPA, Marina's, Power sports. No luck whatsoever. Order it online and save yourself the 30 mile circular drive through three towns. I ended up with an NGK plug, which is better than the stock plug, so I guess I'm still better off than I was....

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
*cough* Far better off than you were with the stock plug lol

I remember when I first saw the plug included with the kit, after a... o_O - I trotted over to the Yamaha Marine performance shop next to my house and showed my friends, whom happen to be the (admittedly somewhat snooty) technicians there.

They took it from me and amongst gales of derisive laughter - mounted it to the 'Wall of Shame'

Ok... so mebbe I loled too :p

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Hey outrunner: did you ever get your plug in? I'm having trouble because the tip that goes into the spark plug wire is fatter than the stock plugs tip. I don't know whether to file it down or something else. Anyone else who knwos how to solve this feel free to chime in.

A_DangerrX

Jun 19, 2009
Connecticut
I'm embarrassed to say this, but the first time I had that problem it was because I had not taken the tiny little cap off the end of the spark plug.

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm embarrassed to say this, but the first time I had that problem it was because I had not taken the tiny little cap off the end of the spark plug.
Yeah I felt like an idiot when Outrunner told me the same thing after I emailed him.

I put it into the plug and after I pulled it out, it pulled out the little metal circular thing and a spring from inside the spark plug wire. Anyone know how to fix this or can I just jam everything back into the spark plug boot?

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
Got my Iridium this morning and took it out for the first run, I have to say it is well worth it!
My bike started with half a pedal on grass! I don't have a speedometer yet, but I can tell the power up hill is better. I ordered mine off ebay for less than 10 clams....

drn2

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I put it into the plug and after I pulled it out, it pulled out the little metal circular thing and a spring from inside the spark plug wire. Anyone know how to fix this or can I just jam everything back into the spark plug boot?
Does anyone know? I'm think if i Just duct tape the spark plug into the boot with the metal cap and spring assembly shoved in, it should run.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Does anyone know? I'm think if i Just duct tape the spark plug into the boot with the metal cap and spring assembly shoved in, it should run.
Put the spring in the spark plug cap first then put the metal fitting in the spark plug cap,use a flat head screwdriver turn/tighten.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Put the spring in the spark plug cap first then put the metal fitting in the spark plug cap,use a flat head screwdriver turn/tighten.
if im reading this all right, this is what i would do,forget about you original stock wire that uses the "screw" on type of plug,and go with more of a standard automotive plug wire that has ball and cap style,(i dont know if my NGK plug cap unscrews but i dont care id rather have a solid connection than by threads) i used what is similar to the automotive style when i got my MSD wire, i really believe you'll get better connectivity thru them anyhow than stock,specially the way the are constructed. the wire will be under or around 10 bucks,performance will be increased so id go with it.

Fizzbane

Apr 4, 2010
Canada
I know this may sound stupid but i read that this spark plug was "extended tip" and could cause contact and ruin stuff. I have a grubee skyhawk 66cc, will I be ok? i would rather not ruin it... do i have to add a thicker gasket?

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
I know this may sound stupid but i read that this spark plug was "extended tip" and could cause contact and ruin stuff. I have a grubee skyhawk 66cc, will I be ok? i would rather not ruin it... do i have to add a thicker gasket?
you can get another spark plug ring for the bottom!!!!

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
you can get another spark plug ring for the bottom!!!!
This is a good idea! We should add this to our warning.

That said - we have NEVER had any plugs actually make contact. We are just being very conservative. Adding a thicker head gasket would be counterproductive.

Fizzbane

Apr 4, 2010
Canada
Thank you mate. appreciate it. Ill get another ring for the spark plug. Im glad no contact has been made but i like the "better safe than sorry" method going on here.