my xl occ chopper build

GoldenMotor.com

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
Re: Disk Brakes

I like what you have done with the disk brakes on the back. What did you use for a mount to mount the caliper too? Is this a kit? How are you doing the front? I see you ordered a new fork and new wheels. on the back you used a maniac adapter and then you modded a saw blade, looks real cool. Do you have a problem clearing the freewheel?

Please more details on your mounting. I like the ideas you have come up with. Your build is going to be primo when done.
i built all of it..made an L shape bracket and bolted it to the frame and the caliper bolts to it.its a tight fit between the freewheel and disc but jims sprocket adapter made it alot easier.

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
Good job!

Your build is coming together nicely. The billet, (straight), trees will make it handle much better. Cool set-up for the disc brake...The saw blade is a good choice for a brake rotor. It will last forever.

Our belt drive failed on the Occ...there was just too much torque applied to the belt when bump starting. DV was able to ride it several times, and it was smooth...but the bump starting was too much for it.

The belt set-up is rated for 12H.P.; but the instantaneous torque required to get the engine turning over was just too much. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Jim
blade was .005 wider than the factory disc and man is it a hard material.it stops so smooth compared to the stock brakes..disc is 9.25 inches.LOL

i wonder if the belt drive would work on a pull start motor like mine?we learn by trying new stuff and that makes it fun.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
blade was .005 wider than the factory disc and man is it a hard material.it stops so smooth compared to the stock brakes..disc is 9.25 inches.LOL

i wonder if the belt drive would work on a pull start motor like mine?we learn by trying new stuff and that makes it fun.
The belt drive set-up would work fine with a pull start engine.

It was designed for a Spoiler with a 6 H.P. Morini engine. The Morini is kick start with an oil bath centrifugal clutch. The torque will be applied gradually, and therefore not have the impact on the belt that bump starting the HT had.

The torque moment of bump starting the HT engine was just too much for the belt unless it was tensioned to the point that I then worried about the constant pressure on the wheel bearings.

Jim

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
The belt drive set-up would work fine with a pull start engine.

It was designed for a Spoiler with a 6 H.P. Morini engine. The Morini is kick start with an oil bath centrifugal clutch. The torque will be applied gradually, and therefore not have the impact on the belt that bump starting the HT had.

The torque moment of bump starting the HT engine was just too much for the belt unless it was tensioned to the point that I then worried about the constant pressure on the wheel bearings.

Jim
sounds like a bad ass spoiler..

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
added a pocket bike pipe and silencer today..added a little bottom end power..alot of midrange and a little topend..just from the feel i would say 3 to 4 mph but the best thing is the midrange pulling power...next step is a billet intake from jim.
pic makes it look like the pipe hangs out a lot but it doesnt.

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
another addition made today..3 inch wide tire,2 1/2 wide wheel,front disc and new forks with aluminum trees..rides much smoother and the stopping power is unreal..here are a few more pics..hope you guys enjoy seeing build pics as much as i do.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I like it alot, looks unique and very much custom thats for sure! I like the rear saw blade disc brake and your mount, very nice indeed! maybe the exhaust would look a bit more smoother if you took out some of that radius in the pipe!, I would tuck it closer to the frame, and then out the back like you had it. but looks real good! here is some pics of a build I done and I tucked the pipe close as I could and because of the long pipe it has a torque but no good top end, 27 mph w/ tailwind.

Attachments

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
I like it alot, looks unique and very much custom thats for sure! I like the rear saw blade disc brake and your mount, very nice indeed! maybe the exhaust would look a bit more smoother if you took out some of that radius in the pipe!, I would tuck it closer to the frame, and then out the back like you had it. but looks real good! here is some pics of a build I done and I tucked the pipe close as I could and because of the long pipe it has a torque but no good top end, 27 mph w/ tailwind.
its a photo illusion,the pipe is in further than the outside of the motor and runs much better than before.

onefast68

Jan 25, 2010
texas
havent posted in a while ...thanks man,it took some searching to find the right one.LOL.

bike runs 35mph now that it is breaking in.

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
I would have never thaught about using a saw blade, best idea ever. Now I'm thinking, put the saw blade on my table saw and hold a sidewinder grinder to it, going to need a few drinks first. I have 2 of those bikes, when I sit on one of those my feet touch the ground, that good for a 73 year old guy. It take me forever to finish anything, plan on using a small Brigs and Straton engine thats legal in California.