Quarter Mile times

GoldenMotor.com

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
i'd do under 35secs on a 1/4 mile easy.

shift kit and tuned pipe, start the in 2nd gear and rev it to the powerband and shift into taller gears all whilst keeping the engine in it's powerband + 'on the pipe'

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
i'd do under 35secs on a 1/4 mile easy.

shift kit and tuned pipe, start the in 2nd gear and rev it to the powerband and shift into taller gears all whilst keeping the engine in it's powerband + 'on the pipe'
no real numbers = no real meaning

This is why all the other "speed" threads keep getting shut down, no offense man but clock it for real.

Last edited:

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
no real numbers = no real meaning

This is why all the other "speed" threads keep getting shut down, no offense man but clock it for real.

i will when my arm's out of plaster.

50km/h = 830m/minute
1/4mile = 400m
400m in 30 secs @ 50km/h

my bike is capable of 60+ km/h in 8th gear ( 60km/h is the speed limit of normal streets here ) and accelleration is the only issue, considering this bike pulls me up hills in 6th gear @ idle revs i'm pretty sure i could start in 3rd or 4th gear and accelerate quickly enough to do <40 second 1/4 mile.

xct2

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
i will when my arm's out of plaster.

50km/h = 830m/minute
1/4mile = 400m
400m in 30 secs @ 50km/h

my bike is capable of 60+ km/h in 8th gear ( 60km/h is the speed limit of normal streets here ) and accelleration is the only issue, considering this bike pulls me up hills in 6th gear @ idle revs i'm pretty sure i could start in 3rd or 4th gear and accelerate quickly enough to do <40 second 1/4 mile.

xct2
you've been told to stop poisoning the thread, so give up, only REAL figures to be posted, not hypothetical

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
you've been told to stop poisoning the thread, so give up, only REAL figures to be posted, not hypothetical
i know my bike is capable of 60km/h in 8th gear (keeping up with traffic and a friend driving beside me confirming the speedo i have on is accurate. )

I said i would do a 1/4 mile time when my arms out of plaster... No need to shoe me away and say' blah blah post numbers' when i cant even ride my bike with only 1 arm...

numbers posted before were to make people aware that under 1min is reachable for most and that no 'hour glass of sand' would be needed :)

anyways

meh. good luck to you all, i'll just stay here and ride when i can in a few weeks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
No hard feelings man - it's just we've tried so hard to have a "pure" thread with valid numbers, each and every time - the armchair racing begins.

It's not that we don't believe you or that we don't wanna hear it - but it escalates so badly with people making ridiculous claims, outlandish boasting, and out of this world "math" and every time - the thread ends up closed 'cause it's impossible to find the real buried in the BS. I hope you understand.

I hope yer arm heals soon, it'd be great to get some numbers with a shift kit! ;)

I will gladly run some tests and supply the information you desire. However I will need to wait for the right weather conditions.

So far all my tests have been using a 150 feet.

I can supply speeds & times, but need to know what the basics are for the tests. How much information would help? Rider weight? Gear ratios? Etc?

Do you want 1/8 mile [660 feet], 1/4 mile, standing start, which size motor?

I can use either a modified Whizzer 138 CC 4 stroke, or a 49 CC 4-stroke on my 24" EZM proto-type. I can also supply times with either the Honda or HS motor. All my bikes are single speed.

Have fun,

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
I didn't get it, the way you want do make the 1/4miles times. So...the time is counted when we start pedaling from 0miles, right?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup. pedal off the start, engine running, take off and time it.

most importantly, PICS OR VIDEO! that way, the proof is undeniable.

also, adding in rider's weight, road and weather conditions, temperature, type of bike, engine, mods, etc, not to mention what type of equipment actually used to measure your speed...

all of this will help establish baseline speeds, performance gains, and add a sense of reality to the tired old "i know my bike does 50 because my nose was running..."

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
Anybody got any times yet? I am waiting for parts for my bike to come in so I have not been riding in a while. I hope you guys have not forgot about this thread :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well TBH I kinda forgot about it :p

I also suspect there's a conspiracy afoot... Even had I not forgotten - almost every weekend lately has been rainy, dreary & cold. While it's often quite nice out during my workweek, when I am finally free of the shackles of employment it promptly rains.

It's gonna be a loooooong winter.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
here is a 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile conversion for cars. not sure if it would work with bikes, but after someone does a 1/4 mile we can check it out to see how accurate it is.

eight-to-quarter

so far the only number i've seen from this thread is 20 sec in the 1/8 which would equal
31.2 seconds. it would be really cool if someone could test this.
once i get my bike done i'll test it for sure. i know of many 1/4 mile spots that are nice and flat.
if our local track (1/8th mile) wasn't $40 to race i'd drag race my bike for sure.
Taking your bike to a drag strip. That would be epic.
Cool thread, when I get my clutch issue sorted out, I'll see if I can find a flat 1/8 mile. Rather a big challenge in Maine ... but I have GPS and watches and stuff. Can't wait to see some info start rolling out.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i was all ready to go today. got a NOS stewart warner "cadet" speedo, and calibrated the odometer to my wheels (the directions say "for 24" and 26" wheels," yet there's no way to change between the two.)

to calibrate it, i marked a spot on my tire, rolled it through a full revolution, then measured that. installed the speedo and put a zip tie on one spoke, then hooked up a drill with a skateboard wheel as a friction roller, and let 'er rip.

counted how many times the ziptie spoke hit the fork as the odometer spun through a mile. (don't even ask how long that took.)

then i took the revolutions, multiplied it by the tire dimension, and was surprised that i was only about 100 feet off. given that this wasn't under load (which won't make that much of a difference) and i coulda missed a turn (or twelve), and i dunno if the numbers on the odometer where exactly zeroed out, that's pretty freaken close.

if the odometer is correct, i'm pretty satisfied that the speed would be correct, but i wanted to do some timed runs to make sure.

so, i was pretty satisfied with a 100' discrepancy in a mile, so i took off to my secret testing spot. the Santa Ana river trail. it's a bike trail with mile markers, there's some almost straight mile runs, and it's nice and smooth. ignoring the fact that motorized bikes are prohibited (anything for the sake of science) i had a stopwatch mounted to my handlebars, within easy access on my left grip.

my plan was to make some timed speed runs, calculate the times against the speedo reading, take some pictures, and post some proof.

BUT...

the speedo stopped working 2 blocks from my house, my camera fell out of my jacket pocket and the battery door broke off (still works with some tape,) and i ended up just going to get a burrito.

turns out, my NOS speedo cable snapped. i mean, it was 60 years old. i already figured out how to fix it but i need to go to the junkyard for a drive cable from a car, then the liquor store for a pack of smokes and a 6pack (that's about how long it takes to calibrate it.)

so the only times i have to post, are these:

burrito store's about a half mile, took me about a half hour there and back, including the time it took to make me a carnitas burrito.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Well - nobody's posted any numbers yet Venice, let alone ridiculous ones :p

Indeed.....this is such a wide ranging topic that anyone and everyone can contribute....I've no idea what my personal bike would do in a quarter.....but we can dream huh ? .......

Laters,
Salty.shft.

Last edited by a moderator:

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
i have a Tom Tom One GPS. I found a handlebar mount on eBay for it and have mounted it on both my 66cc and 49cc Grubees. 66cc topped at 27mph for my first tank using Opti-2 and 21mph for the 49cc, both currently stock and unmodified. Over the course of this winter I am putting on expansion mufflers and better air filters on both as well as a 36 tooth sprocket on the 49cc motor..