who's tried the fat cat pipe?

GoldenMotor.com

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
does it produce a power band like a dirt bike has? thats what im trying to achieve. it seems the sbp pipe is differently set up, i know nothing about these things but i know its important how long the thing is.

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
That thing will produce an incredibly peaky and narrow powerband, obviously designed by someone who doesnt know 2 stroke theory very well. Dont bother. Your much better off with the SBC ones.

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
1) the chamber is tiny
2) there is basically no headpipe
3)the baffle cone is not steep enough
4)The baffle cone ends in an abrubt wall, then goes to the stinger
5)there is basically no stinger.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
1) the chamber is tiny
2) there is basically no headpipe
3)the baffle cone is not steep enough
4)The baffle cone ends in an abrubt wall, then goes to the stinger
5)there is basically no stinger.
Thanks Foxie. I'm pondering modifying pocket pipes/scratch build vs hitting up SBP again. Your list pretty much sums up the Big Picture. A couple of these occurred to me when I saw the photo.

I'm also wondering how much the smooth curves effect performance vs a simple can which would be easier to construct.

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
curves and turns effect the pipe in absolutely no way. You can have three 180 degree bends in a row, and as long as your not actually crimping the pipe to impede the flow, the sonic resonance will happily follow the path. You can even have angled bends, that go in 20* segments or whatever.

Important things are keeping the cones and chambers cylindrical, and not flattened or ovaled in any way. Thats far more importatnt than placing bends in the pipe.

edit...

if your going to try to make your own pipe, the one piece that is absolutely critical is to make sure you have a straight, clean and smooth entry from the head pipe (which idealy should have a 2-3* taper of its own) into the diffuser cone. So when you weld the head pipe to the diffuser cone, go back with a die grinder and smooth the joint on the inside, make sure its all flush.

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
curves and turns effect the pipe in absolutely no way. You can have three 180 degree bends in a row, and as long as your not actually crimping the pipe to impede the flow, the sonic resonance will happily follow the path. You can even have angled bends, that go in 20* segments or whatever.

Important things are keeping the cones and chambers cylindrical, and not flattened or ovaled in any way. Thats far more importatnt than placing bends in the pipe.

edit...

if your going to try to make your own pipe, the one piece that is absolutely critical is to make sure you have a straight, clean and smooth entry from the head pipe (which idealy should have a 2-3* taper of its own) into the diffuser cone. So when you weld the head pipe to the diffuser cone, go back with a die grinder and smooth the joint on the inside, make sure its all flush.

Actually by curves I was refering to the shape of the chamber and transitions. With limited welding tools I'm wondering just how much performance is sacrificed by making it from stock mufflers parts which are dirt cheap compared to sexy but expensive pocket pipes. In other words very short diffuser exit and entry I guess.

For example would I expect one built this way to be half as effective in boosting torque/WOT compared to the SBP? I know pretty much what the difference is between bone stock and the SBP unit.

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
Actually by curves I was refering to the shape of the chamber and transitions. With limited welding tools I'm wondering just how much performance is sacrificed by making it from stock mufflers parts which are dirt cheap compared to sexy but expensive pocket pipes. In other words very short diffuser exit and entry I guess.

For example would I expect one built this way to be half as effective in boosting torque/WOT compared to the SBP? I know pretty much what the difference is between bone stock and the SBP unit.
now youve confused me...

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Mine was from a pocket bike, was cheap ($29 shipped) and was pretty easy to fab up.

And it does work.

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
hrmm... after re reading more than a few times I think I get what you mean. Are you asking about abrubtly ending the chamber with endcaps and such, as the stock pipe does?

Really you should be aiming for a 6-8* taper for the diffuser cone (7-8 for wider power band, 6-7 for a more peaky max output) and roughly double 12-16* for the baffle cone. Thats what will give you great results.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
hrmm... after re reading more than a few times I think I get what you mean. Are you asking about abrubtly ending the chamber with endcaps and such, as the stock pipe does?

Really you should be aiming for a 6-8* taper for the diffuser cone (7-8 for wider power band, 6-7 for a more peaky max output) and roughly double 12-16* for the baffle cone. Thats what will give you great results.
Well like I say... trying to use parts from stock exhausts which do have a rounded shoulder but nothing close to a real diffuser. I see versions of the Poo Poo pipe that do not appear to have a cone but still get rave reviews. Wondering if these actually perform or, like is common from over-excited hobbyists, just smoke being blown (sorry).

Your info is appreciated in any case and being saved for later reference. I may someday get excited enough to attempt a proper sheet metal construction. For now I'd just depend on SBP for a tried and true design but curious about a "half-fast" version.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Mine was from a pocket bike, was cheap ($29 shipped) and was pretty easy to fab up. And it does work.
Yes. Your project was not only a work of art but I also suspect a real performer. To be honest though, considering how much work you put into it, and $30 plus, it makes more sense for me to just buy another one from Pablo and Jim.

I can get chinese exhausts for less than a saw buck apiece shipped complete with flange etc.. And conduit is almost free at places like Lowes and Home Depot. Soooo... the gears in my head start turning (or is that a stripping sound I hear? :) ).

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Actually it was one of the easiest mods I've done on the bike, it was more work fixing up the fenders. laff

If there's access to a welder I highly recommend using one. The satisfaction from making making it myself more then makes up for my hour of time. :D

Street Asasn

Oct 8, 2009
Austin, TX
Ive got a Fat Cat pipe and I love it, a million time better than stock exaust. It sounds MEAN! And definately makes you go faster. I would like to try an SBP pipe to compare but the fat cat does work and so easy to install