fancy nonstock carburators

GoldenMotor.com

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
what is the advantage of getting one of the "performance" carbs to replace the stock carb? i noticed that a lot of people here have them, maybe i should think about getting one as well?

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
because they flow more air. with a bone stock motor under full throttle you will reach a point where the motor will stop accelerating, and you will hear a completely different exhaust note. that is where you ran out of carburetor. a bigger/more efficient carb will keep pulling. you won't lose any fuel efficiency unless you drive it differently. for a stock motor i highly reccomend a dellorto 14/14 SHA if you plan on joining the quest for speed, get the 16/16 SHA. you can use the stock manifold and throttle cable for both, but you will have to try a few different jets. don't misunderstand though, the 16/16 will not make your bike any faster than the 14/14 unless you need the airflow, (portwork). i can give you the jet size for the 16/16 at 2000' altitude with no filter if you like

kirk78400ta

Sep 6, 2009
Houston Texas
Any chance you have the port work for 16-16 at 100' above sea level with a filter?

New to this! Suggestions on part sources?

I live in Houston Texas

Thanks!

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
port size and port timing depend (in laymans terms) where in the rpm range you want to make power. when you port a motor, you are increasing the amount of air that the motor will need due to the increased rpm range. the only effect that port work will have on a motor, (other than a decrease in life span) will be the requirement of a larger carburetor

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
because they flow more air. with a bone stock motor under full throttle you will reach a point where the motor will stop accelerating, and you will hear a completely different exhaust note. that is where you ran out of carburetor. a bigger/more efficient carb will keep pulling. you won't lose any fuel efficiency unless you drive it differently. for a stock motor i highly reccomend a dellorto 14/14 SHA if you plan on joining the quest for speed, get the 16/16 SHA. you can use the stock manifold and throttle cable for both, but you will have to try a few different jets. don't misunderstand though, the 16/16 will not make your bike any faster than the 14/14 unless you need the airflow, (portwork). i can give you the jet size for the 16/16 at 2000' altitude with no filter if you like
what does the "14/14 sha" and the "16/16 sha" refer to? whats the best place to get these?

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
yes, all the sha's will fit. but you will have to mes with the jetting to get it perfect. it will be worth the extra effort.

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
there is no needle on the SHA. just an emulsion tube. what dimensions? you will need some tiny drill bits ( .020-.040") and some solder. it's really not that big of a deal

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
check the plug and adjust the jet size accordingly. its all here in the forum. no one will leave you hangin

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
not a big deal if you know the correct procedures which no one has supplied. A little help here?
I hold the jet with tweezers and heat with a bic lighter. The hole will fill instantly when touched with a piece of electronic solder. Then drill out with a $2 Harbor freight pin vise. .027" that came with it improved all my stock HTs that were running too rich. Some didn't need this.

There was no benefit to doing this to a Dellorto carb compared to a stock one in my case. IMO the stock carbs work fine if jetted properly and I can't see paying more for a carb than a new engine. YMMV

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
"There was no benefit to doing this to a Dellorto carb compared to a stock one in my case. IMO the stock carbs work fine if jetted properly and I can't see paying more for a carb than a new engine. YMMV"

So...? A bigger carb w bigger diam air and fuel intake means nothing? And, I should solder the jet in my existing carb and then drill it -and this would work better than the Dellorto SHA's ...?

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
"There was no benefit to doing this to a Dellorto carb compared to a stock one in my case. IMO the stock carbs work fine if jetted properly and I can't see paying more for a carb than a new engine. YMMV"

So...? A bigger carb w bigger diam air and fuel intake means nothing? And, I should solder the jet in my existing carb and then drill it -and this would work better than the Dellorto SHA's ...?
Well.. maybe not BETTER but that's not what I said. Going by the experience of myself and the two other people locally who tried them.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
This Carb Came In A Grab Or?? What Do I Have Here ?? The Opening That Slides Over The Intake Tube Is Approx 24.4mm. The Ventura Is 16mm As Close As I Can Get. An Extra Happy Time Intake Measures 19.5mm To 19.30mm Od. Thanks Ron

Attachments

Last edited:

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Looks like a Kazuma.
These carbs can be had on ebay for $29.95.
So don't spend the $65 that they want you to spend at Zoom.
You're on your way to getting a brand new Dellorto for that kind of cash.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Brett, Thanks For The Info. If I Made A Bushing Do You Think It Would Be Worth The Trouble On A Happy Time Eng?? It Has The Thumb Choke. With Air Cleaner It Is Over 1" Longer Than The Ht Carb And Air Cleaner . Your Choppers Look Great. I Hope Jim Takes A Moment To Relax Now And Then. Ron