carb choke and oil mix

GoldenMotor.com

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I got this kit and am running it at 20:1 with synthetic oil. Right now I have to run it with the choke wide open, and the Idle screw all of the way in. If I thin out the mix to 32:1 or less then would I be able to close off the choke? It rich right now, though no oil is leaking out of the exhaust. I've already moved the c-clip to the top notch on the needle. With synthetic oil, I figure I could do a 40:1 mix. I'd like to know if this thought process makes sense or am I missing something else?

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
yer supposed to run a warmed up engine with the choke wide open

best to use the words rich /lean when you are talking about fuel/air mixture ... it is very confusing if you use those terms with reference to oil/fuel mix

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
sorry, it aint your fault, lotsa people scramble terminology like that

... if yer an idiot like me it's even more confusing than usual...

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Thanks for the info. I always get confused with that dang'ed ole choke. So I'm getting between 20-22mph. If I thin my oil/fuel mix out, that should increase my speed. Right?

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
dunno about top speed... but your motor would probably benefit from a mix that was closer to the oil manufacturer's recommendation - thinking of less gumming up of the head.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
yer supposed to run a warmed up engine with the choke wide open

best to use the words rich /lean when you are talking about fuel/air mixture ... it is very confusing if you use those terms with reference to oil/fuel mix
Yes.. it gets ridiculous. On one occasion three individuals were communicating and only problem was they were on completely different subjects! A case of "Leaning Tower of Babel".

Choke is open or closed. Clutch is engaged or disengaged. Gas/oil is thin or oily. Gas/air is lean or rich.

Made more confusing because more oil in gas actually makes it "lean" not "rich". Somehow I don't think things will change much though.

Hey Moe! Hey Larry! Shaddup cement head!

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
"Choke is open or closed. Clutch is engaged or disengaged. Gas/oil is thin or oily. Gas/air is lean or rich."

say it again, like a mantra... or something

xlite - that is the most succinctly relevant post i've read all week, how right you are, you are way way ahead of me man

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I've been referred to as "ahead" before. Not sure if it's meant as insult or compliment.

In any case great minds do think alike. :)

shanefer

Jun 20, 2009
Arizona
I'm a newbie and just learning all of this stuff. So I should have my choke all the way open all the time? I just figured out that if i turn the idle screw all the way in the engine won't die when the clutch isn't engauged like it used to.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
take off your air cleaner look at the choke plate pull up the lever the choke is (ON) put the lever down the choke is (OFF) with the choke off this is the normal riding position. Then I'll bet you can then adjust your idle speed.
screw the idle in for a faster idle screw it out for a slower idle.
20 to 1 mix is 20 parts fuel to 1 part oil used most of the time for breaking in a new or rebuilt engine 32 to 1 is what most use for after break in. I've been using a syn oil lately at a 40 to 1 mix and so far I like it more power and cleaner running plus no smoke out of the tail pipe.
Most engines run the best with the E-clip on the #2 slot from the top or fat end of the needle on the carb slide and a 0.70 mm main jet or a o.65 mm main jet. I use mostly a 0.65 main jet.
The main jet hole needs to be precisely drilled not egged or out of round.

Norman

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Norman
Norm,
The correct terminolgy is 'wollered out', not "egged out of round". When you 'woller' out a hole it ends up anything but round. Sometimes they're egg shaped, sometimes they're even square but whatever, we say, "I wollered out the hole to make it bigger.
Fer cryin' out loud, I thought you were a machinist/mechanic. :)
Tom

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
IMO the shape of that jet hole does not matter at all. Square or triangular should work fine. I do believe the overall aperure size (WOT ratio) is a critical factor in what makes some engines perform so well.

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
"Choke is open or closed. Clutch is engaged or disengaged. Gas/oil is thin or oily. Gas/air is lean or rich."

say it again, like a mantra... or something

xlite - that is the most succinctly relevant post i've read all week, how right you are, you are way way ahead of me man
40to 1 after break in ...then don't open your fuel valve all the way just atrickle gas lie doesn't have to be all the way full to much gas floods that little bowl theese guys all rejet there carbs but you don't have to if you find where your bike run good on pet cock!!!!!!! as your going turn gas off as when it starts to speed up right before it runs out of gas turn it back on alittle till till it goes again that should tell you where your pet cock shoulbe set jetting not required i get 38mph on a 44t spocket 80cc 65.7 actulallycc stinger motor!!!!!!!.wee. hope this helps you let me know?? kl363

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
40to 1 after break in ...then don't open your fuel valve all the way just atrickle gas lie doesn't have to be all the way full to much gas floods that little bowl theese guys all rejet there carbs but you don't have to if you find where your bike run good on pet cock!!!!!!! as your going turn gas off as when it starts to speed up right before it runs out of gas turn it back on alittle till till it goes again that should tell you where your pet cock shoulbe set jetting not required i get 38mph on a 44t spocket 80cc 65.7 actulallycc stinger motor!!!!!!!.wee. hope this helps you let me know?? kl363
If you're using your fuel petcock as a metering device to get good performance you have other problems. You need to check your carburetor float and needle and seat. Starving the engine for fuel to get a lean burn will result in damage to the engine. Fix the problem and leave the petcock wide open. And, I'd need proof of your claim of 38mph.
Tom

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
The petcock thing is a good diagnostic aid but silly (and dangerous) to use it long term.

BTW Maybe someone who has such obvious issues with punctuation not most reliable source. :)

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
If you're using your fuel petcock as a metering device to get good performance you have other problems. You need to check your carburetor float and needle and seat. Starving the engine for fuel to get a lean burn will result in damage to the engine. Fix the problem and leave the petcock wide open. And, I'd need proof of your claim of 38mph.
Tom
the motor runs fine the way it is .... nice brown plug went 58 miles today run like a champ pulled head of piston looks beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!its not staring for fuel its getting what it needs with out flooding the bowl ......what proof thats my top speed 38mph 44t ported & polished costum air cleaner thats the fact ...........check all those befpre i did the pet cock it was getting too much fuel from tank ,,,,,,,,,,,KLA63dnut

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
The petcock thing is a good diagnostic aid but silly (and dangerous) to use it long term.

BTW Maybe someone who has such obvious issues with punctuation not most reliable source. :)
yeah well that where it run and the plug is a nice brownish and piston looks clean
what makes you the motor wizard !!!!!!!!dnut