how long have these gas bicycles been around

GoldenMotor.com

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Spookytoothcycles from what Roland told me has only been in business for a little over 2 years. Where I live Staten Island in NYC there are only a few of these bikes around mine included. And when using he bike people are amazed that Im riding of a bicycle with a small engine powering it along. The police here have not even taken notice of me, not that Im complaining, but it does seem rather odd. Before getting the bike I went to Police Station to ask just what the laws were regarding these bikes. They did not know anything about them and told me there not legal here in NYC. So that why Im wondering what other bikers of this type are being accepted like me?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
This type of machine has been around for over 100 years honestly.

I've heard they're not legal in NYC (they should be - that's an ideal place for them) but as long as you're not getting bothered....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi FM. I have ridden around upstate and cops don't seem to care. Here is a legal thread about NY; http://motorbicycling.com/f17/new-york-laws-1474.html
I can find no facts at all to back this up but enjoy this legend, The China Girl (HT) style kit was invented in fuel and material starved England during or after WW2. Then copied by the Japanese later to be followed by the Chinese. Could be a complete myth, but like all myths is plausible. The oldest MB I have read about was 1863 (Not mentioned in following article)
Timeline of motorized bicycle history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL, $90 bucks in 1903 ..and some great DIY ideas

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I sincerely could not tell you. Am sure some one will know who has been doing this longer then I. Be cool to find out for sure.

Last edited:

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
1896 - Large additions to Columbia plant. New Tube Mill Completed. Experimental work was done on auto's. The Mark I Phaeton Electric Car was completed. Hiram Maxim, an engineer, astonished everyone with operating a gasoline carriage (auto) on the streets of Hartford, Ct. Col. Pope purchased all the rights to the car. Beginning of the Westfield Plant: Lozier Manufacturing Company of Cleveland Ohio is building a factory division in Westfield, Ma. Land was donated by the Noble family, 10 acres on Silver St. and $10,000 to cover a shortage in the subscription. Subscription raised $75,000. August 5th, contract signed, company to build Cleveland Bicycles.

Motorised bikes made a comeback pre ww1 and again post wwII, in the 50's the moped/ scooter over took the motor bike in sales and they are now making a come back

Cookie

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
ooops clicked the wrong ""

1897 - In 1897, the Westfield Plant was completed in less than a year. On February 3rd, it was expected that the factory will be operating by February 15th. New tube mill in operation . Five percent nickel steel tubing a new Columbia feature. A new building was added to the Columbia plant in Hartford, CT. Total floor space, 17 1/100 acres under one roof and extended over a mile along the New York - New Haven - Hartford Railway, employed nearly 10,000 people. Col. Pope produced the "Pope Hartford" and was running from New York to Boston, MA. The Mark III auto was developed. In May, ten vehicles were exhibited, sold for $3,000 each. Gasoline powered Tricycle available. Rental business of Columbia Electric Carriers on a for hire service established.

1898 - The GREATEST contribution to cycling and autos! They produced the chain-less bicycle. It was shaft driven with bevel gears (another new patent). Chain was the biggest problem with cycles. Men attempted to break them for sport. Major variations in automobiles could not gain speed with chains. The Mark VIII is available. It is comparable in design to modern cars with regards to the chassis and engine position.