What improvements to make out of the box

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes they short out and won't allow you to start the motor, etc.

Speaking of kill switches though, I need one. I have the old style throttle without a kill switch. I'd rather not just ziptie a normal radioshack switch to my handlebars...but I would just an actual switch, not just a momentary pushbutton. Anybody got any suggestions/links?

CMA_Decky

Dec 6, 2008
North SF Bay, CA
Before you mount you back sprocket go through and bevel the edges of all the teeth. I was having issues with my chain staying on until Andy suggest I do this. Took about 5 minutes with a p-grinder to take care of. I was having issues with the tensioner bracket, my tiny mountain bike frame was too small for it. I tried using rubber weather stripping to bulk up the frame. This resulted in the tension of the chain on the first start up throwing the tensioner wheel into the spokes and breaking one. If you have access to a welder like I did don't waste time messing with it, just tack it on there. Place zip ties where all the spokes cross on the back tire for added support.

Last edited:

slipdrive44

Dec 3, 2008
Tucson
your engine will get way stronger as it breaks in
they are feeble at best out of the box but after 100 miles are great

JAK

Has this been the experience for everyone?

My engine is about a week old, I'm about half way through the break-in, and I am hoping it will beef up.

Rnroutlaw

Nov 15, 2008
Norwalk,Ohio
Has this been the experience for everyone?

My engine is about a week old, I'm about half way through the break-in, and I am hoping it will beef up.
yes as Jak said your engine will get stronger. I've had mine for a few weeks and still every time I start it up it seems to not only sound better but feel stronger at higher rpms than the day before.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
A freind and i bought engines and i built mine 4 days before his. With around 50 miles on mine you could see a huge difference in their power. He had to pedal up hills that my kit would zip by, after about 200 miles each since then both bikes run almost exactly the same.

PS, just want to be sure i got this right, If i have bought a fuel filter for an f-150, it will not harm anything to use it on my bike using mixed fuel?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
The F-150 filter may or may not work. I know some filters for more modern vehicles require some pressure behind the filter.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
When you talk about the little inline fuel filters, or even the larger ones for older cars with carb's, they should all be ok with pure gasoline or mixes with 2 cycle oil. The paper in them is specially made stuff.

I once read about it in a Purolator Oil Filter text which explained how it was made and the applications it was designed to be used in. It seems the paper is dusted with a fine resin and then it travels thru a heat tunnel to melt it into the paper. What that does is create a very porus surface where anything larger than "one micron" in size (which is 0.000 039 37 inch) will not pass thru. Gasoline or a mix of it with oil would have no problem flowing thru it but if there were any particles they would be isolated.

Gasoline engines are fairly forgiving as it is fairly clean stuff yet Diesel fuel is rather dirty and the parts it must work in require extremely clean fuel. So the filters for Diesel are more elaborate so the fuel pump and fuel injectors will function and give a longer life cycle.

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
Im not sure if it was mentioned because i havent read all the replies. But what i did was removed the engine mount studs retapped it to 1/4" and JB welded stainless steel studs in it. and also made a brace that bolts onto the intake manifold to the top of the bike to help with vibration. I also used nylock nuts and lock washers.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I think you guys with the China Dolls are missing a good bet. We all know the engines are made of crap and the quality of workmanship varies. I intend to have mine cryo treated,. It is a process where the parts or whole engine are brought down 5deg/min by computer control to -300something with liquid nitrogen and held there for 24 hours and brought up to ambient at the same rate. It causes the molecules of metal to become equally spaced, which causes the metal to be harder, smoother, less prone to distortion when heated, and cause parts to last longer. NASCAR is well aware of it and use it on their blocks, brake rotors, valves, springs, etc etc. Racers who changed valve springs 3 times a year make the whole season. My own personal experience is with carbide gundrill bits and bandsaw blades. We tripled the time between regrinds on bits and changing bandsaw blades. It costs $4/LB in Broken Arrow, Ok. One guy was running 4 blown V-8's in a tractor pull machine and had to set his pistons at .008. He would blow 8 quarts of oil in one run. They vatted him and he set up at .002 and quit losing oil. The machine shop that does it fields a 12 yr. old girl in a mini Indy car, They can't modify the engines. Hers was vatted in one chunk and she set a track record. .blady When they decided she didn't break any rule, 30 engines got vatted. KWdnut