Need some "special" horsepower

GoldenMotor.com

Farfle

Dec 15, 2011
Bend, OR
Heya, long time poster on the endless-sphere forum, and I have a question for you guys. I am looking at building a generator trailer for my E moto. There are some things gas motors are still pretty dang good at. I am familiar with the electrical side of things so once I get a spinning shaft, I got it from there. BUT I need a motor, the performance goals I am after are these:

Weight: sub 30lbs for the motor
Horsepower: need about 5hp of output. Real output. Like 3-4 hours at a time output.
As quiet as possible, but I suppose its not necessary.
RPM: anything between 2k and 8k faster is better.
Cost: 300 bucks sound doable?

Here is some dyno pr0n for you guys. 24hp and 154ft/lb at the wheel. First place at bairdco riverside race in sept.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=bwoGXQDzB-s

Farfle

Dec 15, 2011
Bend, OR
Thanks man, I like that HF engine, and rated at 7hp it can probably be idled down a small amount and add a little lifespan and quietness. Or is that 7hp downhill with a tailwind in perfect factory conditions? What kind of horses do those powerbees make? A quick search shows powered parachute guys making almost 20 hp out of them o_O . They seem to be a pretty lightweight looking engine. But they are a lil spendy.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The Power Bee engine is no longer made but there is a good aftermarket for them as they are still used in vintage Kart racing and alot of folks still have them powering their snow blowers and such. They come in different configurations so power output can be abstract, and you can soup them up alot too.