Strongest 26" tires? other than Coker

GoldenMotor.com

illMATTic

What are the strongest tires out there? I see Coker makes some for $125+. Are they that much stronger than a bike tire? I know some wang chung tires are real soft. I have a set. BUT are there bike tires out there that are indeed better for added weight and speed?

I would really like a 26x3 but want it to have a classic look. IE no flames.

ILL

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I guess when people say soft theyre referring to the sidewalls? either punture easy or give a squishy ride? I'm curious too what tires are better

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Simplex 26 tires will fit a bike rim. Or you can vet a set of continental moped tires from europe.After that for stronger tires you will need to swapnwheels

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Vintage look vs new performance at a reasonable price. I could not find both in a 26x3. It would be great if someone has a source. I am looking for an all-black sidewall as well as no flames and went with Duro 26x2.125 for now. These replaced a pair of Vancom vintage tires when one blew a side wall from dry rot. Those had replaced Continental tires/tyres that were really nice but had huge white lettering. This is getting expensive.

illMATTic

I am putting together a Simplex. Its just hard to swallow $250+ for a set of tires from Coker. Are those that much stronger?

Would I be safe with a set of Felt tires for less than half the price? Maybe I could Use a HD tube?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I guess I'd be concerned with weight ratings and DOT requirements for bike like that. Your call of corse but that's my two cents. I don't think Felt makes a 26x3 anyway do they? I believe 2.125 is the widest unless you drop to a 24". Surly makes some in the 3.5" to 4" range if you want to look at their site but they are not cheap either.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
How much hp, and weight are we talking about? Do you know how big a tire your frame will allow?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
A simplex? Are you using a simplex sheave? Simplex motor? Simplex wheels? If you are going to do 40 on the regular and plan on keeping the bike I would dr0p the $ and just buildna set of wheels suited for dot rated tires especially if you need to have it inspected.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
40 MPH really isn't that crazy of a speed for standard bicycle tires. (We do it all the time)... Just install the best tubes you can find.
Also... If you still feel that you need better tires?, just look at tires for 'down hill' bikes. They're really tough tires!