What is the bike Best Tire Size for High winds? Mountain/Cruiser bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I was riding about in the high winds from Sandy and was getting pushed all over the place. Was kinda fun but feared the worst and was going slower than average. Aside from telling me I am a madman, please recommend treads, thicknesses and other thoughts like tubed or tubeless tires you might have. Even rims that perform better might be a good mention. TIA

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The only thing I can add is that in crosswinds, your spokes actually act like a solid disc. There is no "better tire" for crosswinds as far as I know.

Experts?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Back a few years I rode a nice Serotta on the road. The tire has less impact on handling in the wind than the rim profile. There is a lot of wind coming off the big lake where I would ride so I needed to be careful so that I wouldn't get blown out into traffic or onto the soft shoulder where skinny tires are worthless. Supposedly there is balance between having a wide profile on the rear where you can get the hang of "sailing" the bike and not getting blown around. I never found that to be true so I only used my tri- spoke carbon fiber rear wheel for race day. I had a matching wheel for the front but that's where the biggest problem in handling comes from. Having the wind blow the front wheel around actually changes the line of the bike. I went with an 18 spoke narrow profile straight lace front and it was great. But that's for a road bike. I wouldn't put a light wheel like that on my MB for any reason. I think you have three choices. Reduce the profile that the front wheel presents, increase the weight of the bike so that it isn't as easy to blow around, or keep the bike put away during a hurricane.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Thanks for the replies., I like the 18 spoke idea for the front. Maybe for special occasion I can build a HD one myself some day? I am sure I play a role in this as well being kinda big at around 200.. Now I am having new issue will post about later. Take care.

keep the bike put away during a hurricane.