Front Disc Hub Adapter

GoldenMotor.com

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Hello,

starting to collect my puzzle pieces for my build. I've bought a 48 hole Surly front hub and would like front disc brakes, but no one makes a 48 hole front hub for disc brakes. I want the strength because I am big and my bike will be heavy and built for long distance traveling. I will using the motor to help with pedaling and need fast and sturdy wheels. I would like at least one disc brake on the bike.

Has anyone seen a clam shell adapter for disc rotor mounting for the front hub? All I've found were for sprockets.

I have a Staton 48 hole for the rear and haven't found a left hand threaded disc adapter that will work with the Top Hat adapter. Most are right hand thread. I've only been able to find a chinese scooter rotor adapter that isn't ISO standard, so it won't work with the Top Hat adapter.

I might have an disc hub adapter machined or go with the Halo Spin Doctor disc 48 hole rear hub, so I could use the Top Hat adapter, but then I'll have to figure out how to mount the discs on the rear.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Aside from the fact a 48h wheel is overkill, I'd be most concerned with trying to use an adapter because THAT will be the weakest link. That will fail long before you twist the spokes off a proper stainless-spoked 36h wheel or even a 32h wheel. Sell the hub to a BMX'er and get a proper 36h disc hub.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I had a pro build my wheels for me. When I came to pick em up, he remarked "What are these for, a tandem for big guys?" :D

They're just double-wall Weinmann downhill rims with 12g stainless spokes laced 4-cross on 36-hole Sturmey Archer hubs.

Me + my bike easily exceeds 300lbs loaded, and my wheels have been solid in nearly 4000 miles.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I guess 36 hole hub and wheel looks like all the options I have at this point.
Thanks for your input.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I had a pro build my wheels for me. When I came to pick em up, he remarked "What are these for, a tandem for big guys?" :D

They're just double-wall Weinmann downhill rims with 12g stainless spokes laced 4-cross on 36-hole Sturmey Archer hubs.

Me + my bike easily exceeds 300lbs loaded, and my wheels have been solid in nearly 4000 miles.
==================================

Aleman, I was not reading it right for a moment and thought you said about what they were for.

Thinking it was just the front wheel or both but no gear or pulley on the rear wheel and you slyly said that as just a way to avoid some green bike shop giving you stuff about not liking any motor bikes.

That thread I suppose was a long time ago and I never had trouble with having REI trueing my rear wheel marked up for the pulley to be later added by me.

I am thinking about a front drum brake so was looking here. I'm getting close to trying my motor bike out and have front and rear v-brakes, but I am a light weight and did this same kinda bike with side pulls front and back before.

I like the idea of drums working in wet weather as added safety measure so I would like to check on what Amazon has for a gift cert I got recently to convert the front. I suppose I still could have the front v-brake and a drum both in use and combine stopping stregnth.

Or I could get grind off the mounts I made for the front V's or make decoration of then come now.

Measure Twice

Last edited:

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
The adapter is bolted on from the back, through old spoke holes on the hub. Then the wheel is laced using the adapter as the other flange.