What is "cold setting" od spokes?

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I've heard thet this the best way to adjust spokes. I want to learn more about how it's done. Anybody got any suggestions or instructions?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
in layman's terms, it's using a wrench or a small prybar to (gently) tweak the spokes into shape by sticking the wrench in between the triangle where 2 spokes cross, lifting up on the lower spoke and pushing down on the upper.

a complicated definition for an easy operation.

you should do that with any spokes, new or old when building a wheel. it helps to get the spoke heads flush with the hub flange. if you look at those really cheap heavy duty rims, the spoke heads don't sit flat on the hub flange, because they're made by a machine in china.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You will also hear of "pre stressing" spokes before final truing. I have built bicycle wheels, and this is valuable. Excessive force is not needed. You can do this with your hands by grabbing two spokes where they cross, on each side, nearest the other pair, and squeezing hard. If you hear creaking or pinging sounds, it means the spokes had torsion or twist in them, and you "relieved" it. Now, when you go around again to true, you will see if the wheel runout or true has changed.

I use a pair of customized needlenose pliers (rubber coated, shortened past the gripping teeth) to hold spokes under tension while turning the spoke nipple. This prevents the spoke twist, but I still relieve the spokes manually anyway, by squeezing the pairs of spokes, then placing the wheel on some cardboard or carpet and sitting hard on the rim, turning it 1/4 rotation and sitting, to compress the wheel. It makes sure the spokes are bedded at the elbow and the rim. After doing it this way, I have had very good luck with my wheels. I recommend brass nipples and straight guage spokes or butted spokes, but nothing radical, and recommend Spokey wrenches. I use alcohol as "spoke prep" (it evaporates after a day unlike waxy spoke preps or oils)

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey, thanks HC, that was a very informative post. Now I understand. I now know a lot more about tuning wheels.