What are the best budget breaks for a Cranbrook

GoldenMotor.com

BATMANG

Aug 9, 2011
State College, PA
I've been reading through the forums, and haven't quite been able to find an answer to this. I am about to build my very first motorized bicycle and I want to get everything ready before I assemble. I know that Cranbrooks come with crappy coaster breaks, so I definitely want to replace them. I haven't been able to find a thread that explains how to do it. All I want to do is put in front and rear V-brakes and then combine both breaks into a dual pull lever. What would I need to acquire/do before I can do that?

Thanks!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
This is probably outside what you are looking for, but I like to give options. Sounds like you haven't started the build yet so here is an alternative idea.

You can successfully modify a cranbrook. that being said, you should compare the pro's and con's of of just buying a bike that has what you need.

For example the Schwinn Lankmark, and the Schwinn Clairmont are both excellent bikes to motorize. I have perosnally done both.

pro's
Multi speed (I like it, you can peddle at top speed for the extra rush)
Has front and rear brakes
Don't have to mod the coaster
Don't have to buy seperate brakes
Have to buy dual brake lever either way

Con's
Little more expensive. $149 for the landmark, $159 for the clairmont.
Not the brake style you want
Probably have to buy the ones I listed online. My store never stocks them it seems.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the main ones. At $90 for the Cranbrook, how much are the brakes gonna cost you, and how much headache are you willing to get, modding the coaster. Some have better luck than others with the coaster break. If you destroy it, how much is a replacement?

The Cranbrook has a place for being motorized, but there are better alternatives for a little more.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I second... I would just get a landmark... by the time you get the brakes, levers, adapters,cables, and such you will probabally be at the same price anyways

BATMANG

Aug 9, 2011
State College, PA
Unfortunately, I already have the bike. I suppose I can always just trade it in in store, since I haven't opened it yet. I think my local Walmart has at least one of those bikes in stock.

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
Walmart usually takes back almost anything, if you have a good story.

Just tell them that you bought the wrong bike, shouldn't be an issue considering it isn't opened yet.