Coach Taillights

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow, Dave, you're telling your age. I remember those but I haven't seen anything like them for years. They make coach style tail lights for street rods, I think Speedway Motors still has them but they'd be too big for a bike.

Good luck. They would look cool. Maybe a store that sells speciality lighting? Something like an antique porch light that you could adapt to low voltage?
Tom

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Yeah, I remember pricing out a real cool chopper in the '70s made from parts found in Easy Riders mag. You could buy a frame for just about any motor for $125 and accessorize the crap outta it. Not including donor bike you could build a real nice chopper for about $600.

Now, after days of searching the net I simply can't find a taillight so I contacted a guy I know on youtube and I'm talking to him about turning from brass two chess piece-looking parts to fit on a copper tube and just make my own.

I'll keep updating this thread as I go along :)

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Well. I received the aluminum bar that the top and bottom of the light is to be turned from. Youtube guy begged off the project so I'm looking local for a machinist that will do the work for free or cheap. I have a new digital camcorder so I'm going to try to do a video of the build.

I still need to go to the scrapyard to find the right pipe for this and the tank project so it will be a bit. At least things are going forward.

And wait til you see the English Carbide headlamp I'll be cleaning and polishing up then converting to electric. This bike will end up weighing 100 pounds and be the King of the SteamPunk Bikes :D

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Heh, got so much going on it will be crazy. Morini S5N to install with part of the motor mount also part of the copper cylinder fuel tank mount. I have some ideas of how to use the head stud nuts which are those long coupler nut type nuts. There's no front mount on these motors so I figure to grab anywhere I can for a mounting point. Got a beat-up old expansion chamber coming, too. I can cut and section and make up new cones if I have to. The main part of it will be covered with heat tape so appearance isn't important.

I keep looking at some carbide tail lights that arn't too expensive but their all corroded looking like the head lamp, too. But I really think that a light on either side would be best. That's why I bought a 12" x !.5" dia bar of aluminum to make two Bishop's and two Pawns, basically. Then I can have tail lights, stop lights and turn signals in taillights I make, well, me and a machinist ;)

When you see the photos of the headlamp you'll go what a POS :) It's corroded like crazy, all gray and crappy looking but there's one on eBay all cleaned up and shiny chrome and brass. I paid like $55 for mine and the nice one is at like $100 now with two more days.