Will it hurt to hit the kill switch while coasting?

GoldenMotor.com

Tsbrunell

Apr 22, 2011
Harford County, MD
I got pulled over the other night :/ so just to be cautious from now on I was hoping that if I see someone drive by I could just turn the engine off...

Would it harm the engine to hit the killswitch while moving at a decent speed?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Whenever I ride bike trails and encounter walkers or pedal bike riders I use the kill switch to shut down and pedal past them. I've never had a problem.
I do not agree with wiring the kill switch to the white wire and ground however. I wire mine to short between the blue and black wire from the magneto to the CDI. All of my bikes have hundreds of miles on them and I've never experienced an issue with using the kill switch.
Tom

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
From an electrical standpoint I could see that using the kill switch while the engine is turning at high speed, like going downhill, with the clutch engaged, that the magneto is pumping its output into a short (caused by the kill switch), and maybe the hair-thin wire used for the blue wire output could open up like a fuse.
But, if you disengage the clutch and hit the kill switch, then you could do that a million times and nothing would be damaged.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Quite often I'll kill the engine with the kill switch (hilly terrain) with the clutch engaged. So I'm not just breaking with the brake pads. I have never had a problem in the 5 engines I've bought. I had one magneto go bad, and that was 3 days after I installed the engine.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
there's basically two ways to do it, and both have been explained. i do it the simple way, using the white wire and the ground, and have never had a problem.

i've also never burned out a magneto from cutting it and coasting. not saying it can't happen, just never happened to me.