Video - my daily commute (and hopefully others)

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well I have about 75% of my daily commute on video. My camera likes to corrupt longer videos, so I had to stop and restart recording every time I got a chance. Unfortunately the last portion was too long and got corrupted :(

But this 12min video is 75% of my daily commute to work.

This was filmed using my newly developed "BellyCam." I ride with a backpack that has one of those straps that clips around your waist. So I just moved the strap up a bit to my belly, and zip-tied the camera to the strap. I took a tripod-adapter screw that had a D-ring on it and screwed it into the camera, and one of the zip ties went through there, just in case. Seems to have worked out pretty well. Next time I might try my other backpack that has a chest strap and use a "ChestCam" and see how that works. The video is a bit bouncy/shaky at the beginning, but smooths out once I get riding.

This is the first time I've ever put a video together. I did it at work, so all I had available was Windows Movie Maker :( To get the size down, I had to make it 15fps, so hopefully it's not too choppy. Any tips on free utilities to do better compression on video, I'm all ears. I have a Mac at home, not sure what functionality came with it - I'll have to try when I get home.

Eventually I think I'd like to put all my future videos in one spot, so hopefully this thread will suffice.

The video is approx. 14.5mb and about 12 min long. Enjoy, and let me know what you think :)

http://www.jasonhight.net/videos/motorbike/ridetowork-sm.wmv

Last edited:

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
Bro That Video Flat Rocked I love the part when you cross the Bridge I told one of the guys at work That I'd like to see him cross that in his car.......LOL

Looks like fun.

I will have time this weekend i should have time to get mine running again.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Thanks guys.

yeah that bridge is a nice shortcut. Technically not supposed to use the motor on it or the connecting bike path, so I coast most of it - just give it enough gas to get over the bridge is all :) But yeah, it shaves about a half mile or so off the trip.

Fair, yeah last time I was in Tucson I remember the roads being pretty terrible.
I don't use a helmet (or even have one) so a helmet cam is definitely out of the question for me. Plus, riding a bike with a full-face helmet with a camera strapped to it? haha, that's gotta look interesting to passers-by.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Thanks guys.

I took a video of starting up the bike, but the camera corrupted that one too. This camera sucks. It's only 8 months old, I got it as a Christmas present for my wife. My good camera bit the dust a couple months ago, so all I have is this. Guess I should've spent more than $50.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
All my video's were taken with my camera PHONE (except the tv one. That was done with my Wal Mart DVD recorder and switched over to the right format on my computer)and I rode Cronus. Since Cronus is an auto clutch my left hand is free to hold my phone. My phone has a mini sd card and the video's it takes you tube recognizes right away.

YouTube - largefilipino's Channel

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
My phone won't take video unfortunately. I guess they decided with the Samsung Juke that since it has a tiny screen, it doesn't need video....even if it does have 2gb of storage :(