relacing moped hub

GoldenMotor.com

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
can an amf roadmaster drum break hub be relaced into a 26 inch mountain bike rim ? please share some of your expert advice please.
thanks glennbo.
.flg.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Sure it can. I just laced a moped drum into a 26" aluminum rim today. People tend to think just because the drum brake has a larger flange that the spokes need to be shorter. In reality the spokes just swing outward and go at an exagerated angle. The drum ends up turned in the rim a little more than the small flange hub. 10 5/8" (270mm) spoke length for a cross four pattern and 10 1/4" (260mm) for a cross three pattern.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
Sure it can. I just laced a moped drum into a 26" aluminum rim today. People tend to think just because the drum brake has a larger flange that the spokes need to be shorter. In reality the spokes just swing outward and go at an exagerated angle. The drum ends up turned in the rim a little more than the small flange hub. 10 5/8" (270mm) spoke length for a cross four pattern and 10 1/4" (260mm) for a cross three pattern.
Thank you for that advice. That's what I've been doing, but I thought I was showing my redneckness. .dd.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
I shure would like to put a Nuvinci hub in my Puch rear rim. Would that work I wonder. And if I were to "get a rim laced", what is a fair price just for the labor ?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I charge 40 for lacing and another 15 or 20 for truing depending if the wheel is used or new. You will save a bunch of money making your own its not that hard.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
That sounds like a fair price. A man can't work for nothing. Will have to learn myself I guess. The shipping back and forth to Mass. is what scares me ! Thank you for the offer.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/2010-4-stroke-frame-build-off-19467-7.html
This is a link to the first segment of a U tube how to series on lacing a 36 hole wheel. It is for three cross, but four cross is almost the same. I watched these a couple times and then laced up a Jawa moped drum hub up front and a Bendix coaster brake hub in back with 12 G spokes and 52 Schwinn rims. The video is pretty good and is really all you need. I haven't done the truing yet, and still need to paint the rims, but the wheels are together and look good. I'm getting ready for a second set next and can see this is the way to go for me. Inspired by msrfan... Also some help from Chainmaker... thanks, guys! (Also Bairdco for the spokes and encouragement.)
SB

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You can lace the drum hub to a rim. I don't know about mounting a motor drive sprocket to the drum hub. You may have to use a jackshaft kit and transmit engine power thru the pedal chain.