Rear wheel bearing hard clicking noise - Coaster Brake

GoldenMotor.com

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Looked all over the bicycle forums for this one, but almost all of them refer to problems that have to do with when the wheel is under a load. The clicking noise will persist even if I take the wheel off the bike, stick it in a vice, and spin it.

Any suggestions? The only thing I could think of was grease & I already tried re-greasing it. No change.

EDIT: The clicking noise has nothing to do with whether the brake engaged or not, just trying to specify the type of hub build for reference.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
everytime i've had a clicking coaster brake, it blew up shortly after.

you said you re-greased it, did you take it completely apart and check the bearings, races, hubshell, and everything else for cracks or any other damage?

or, are the bolts from your sprocket hitting the brake arm slightly, fooling you into thinking it's the hub?

orr, is there a card in your spokes?:)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Check the bearing cones closely for spalling and make sure the races on the hub aren't cracked.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
If the inner cone nut on the right peddal side of hub inside the fork
is too tight it will click loudly and make noises, too loose and your wheel is wobbly.
Thats why i had to replace mine with a freewheel mountainbike wheel,i couldnt take the noises no more.

There are 2 inner nuts near the sprocket,with wheel off or outer nuts loose, you have to loosen the (#2 in pic) outer locknut first then adjust the inner cone nut(#1 in pic) closest to the sprocket and is the one that holds the bearing in,tighten then loosen half turn,should not be too tight but not too loose,then while holding the cone nut,tighten the outer locknut(#2 in pic).
Put wheel back on or if already on retighten the far outer wheel nuts.You may have to adjust it a few times to get it right.
*note: pay no attention as to what the guy in the pic is doing,pic is just to show what it looks like.

Attachments

Last edited:

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
yeah they seem to be. Like I said it happens when the wheel doesn't even have a load on it (spun clamed in a vice), so I doubt it's the spokes