79cc Predator valve cover hose remedies

GoldenMotor.com

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
Im asking for answere to the old valve cover hose that originally goes back into the original air filter. Im going with a pz-19 carb with a k&n type filter so I have to do something. Ive seen people drill holes into the block in the case and tap a hole for a hose fitting. Ive also heard something about a catch can for the oil to drip into. Ive seen people use the hose for pulse pumps too. NOTE: Im not going to be using a puls pump-just gravity. Can you all chime in with the best setups and what not to do?

1. Whats better? Catch can or into the block? Will aiming it at the ground spit oil everywhere?

2. Has anyone combined a catch can and into the block? Like a filter before it goes in the case to insure clean air back in?

3. Is thhis method bad for your engine?

Thanks. Happy Saturday.

Bruce Lee

Dec 13, 2010
California
Im asking for answere to the old valve cover hose that originally goes back into the original air filter. Im going with a pz-19 carb with a k&n type filter so I have to do something. Ive seen people drill holes into the block in the case and tap a hole for a hose fitting. Ive also heard something about a catch can for the oil to drip into. Ive seen people use the hose for pulse pumps too. NOTE: Im not going to be using a puls pump-just gravity. Can you all chime in with the best setups and what not to do?

1. Whats better? Catch can or into the block? Will aiming it at the ground spit oil everywhere?

2. Has anyone combined a catch can and into the block? Like a filter before it goes in the case to insure clean air back in?

3. Is thhis method bad for your engine?

Thanks. Happy Saturday.
use a catch can

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
Thanks guys. I better clear something up here as my original post has a mistake in it as I got confused. I stated that some people drill a hole in the block and put a fitting there. They do but thats "only for a pulse pump" function. Im sure you guys knew what I was talking about but I dont want anyone to see my post and send their valve cover hose directly back into the engine. I have no idea what that would do besides blow dirty air at eachother and possibly mess up something. I got confused. The fitting on the block as well as the valve cover hose "can both" be utilized as pulse pump source. Its two choices. I just thought Id clear that up. SIDE NOTE: My buddy purchased a Death Row 6.5 Predator kit and decided to buy a billet valve cover that has a more shallow distance making it easier to put in stock bicycle frames. The note Im making is this: The billet valve cover did "not have" any hole in it and Ive always wondered why? Is that because they expect people to drill one themselves? Or, can you run a 6.5 212 cc with that closed off? He heard that if you do, it will blow some seals or something? I honestly dont know and Id like to know more on that If you guys would like to comment. Thanks. And thanks for sharing the photo. Looks fast.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
On my 99cc Predator I have a breather hose coming off a nipple on the valve cover that tee's into a breather coming from the crankcase filler cap and then into a catch can.

Then there is a breather hose from the catch can to a small K&N filter mounted underneath my seat.

Simple and effective with no mess so too speak.

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
On my 99cc Predator I have a breather hose coming off a nipple on the valve cover that tee's into a breather coming from the crankcase filler cap and then into a catch can.

Then there is a breather hose from the catch can to a small K&N filter mounted underneath my seat.

Simple and effective with no mess so too speak.

Can I ask you your reasoning behind sending the tube that goes into the oil filler area from the valve cover? Im not knocking it, Im just curious as to why.. Is there a benefit for it? Im probably just going straight from the valve cover into a catch can with a valve to drain it at the bottom-with a small filter to breath on top next to the same hose going in. Will this work? And please let me know the reason for your hose going back into your oil well. Thanks

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Can I ask you your reasoning behind sending the tube that goes into the oil filler area from the valve cover? Im not knocking it, Im just curious as to why.. Is there a benefit for it? Im probably just going straight from the valve cover into a catch can with a valve to drain it at the bottom-with a small filter to breath on top next to the same hose going in. Will this work? And please let me know the reason for your hose going back into your oil well. Thanks
Both breathers go into the catch can, they are just combined with a tee to eliminate an extra hose and nipple into the catch can....simple.

I suppose I could add some reeds and a computer to control it all.....then C.A.R.B. would probably want to get involved and set new air pollution standards for our tiny bike engines even more. laff

Breathers are used to alleviate excess pressure build-up, rather than utilize vacuum from the engine. Dirty engine oil is only as dirty as you let it get.....I change mine frequently.

Last edited: