Front tire drum brake generator?

GoldenMotor.com

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
I'm planning my first build and I'm going to use a springer front susp. on my retro cruiser MB and may occaisonally ride at night while commuting. I want a good set of front brakes and a classic looking headlight. So I'm thinking that this drum brake/dynamo hub from Firebelly Cycles might be a good choice.

FireBelly Cycles : Front Drum Dynamo Hub

I like the idea of a generator hooked up to the hub instead of using the engine in case I need to pedal, (heaven forbid) and still use the light. I don't really care for any of the battery powered lights I've seen. I know a bicycle repair shop that should be able to lace and true the wheel. Anyone have any comments? Are there any other bumps in the road I should know about?
.bf.

I should probably mention that I'm not very handy :)

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
That is really nice! I searched completed ebay and there was a nicer Schmidt that sold used 3 years used for 127!! That must be a fancy little unit.. Just found another with 4 spare bulbs and lights for 200+... Good info.. Thanks

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks, I don't really know anything about drum brakes and such. My post was more of a question as to whether or not they are sufficient for a MB. Maybe that didn't come across very well. I really have no idea where to get a headlight for it, but the light was more of an afterthought to the brake.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have a sturmey-archer x-fd (drum brake, no dynamo) front hub with over 7k miles on it
still on original brake shoes and stops me and my 2 granddaughters (in their trailer) very quickly/smoothly