Chainsaw in frame build

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looks and sounds good. Somehow I thought Norwegian snow would look different than the kind we have in Minnesota. I find riding a snowy road to be a high alert experience... the last time I tried it I wiped out in slush. Not fun. Stay safe and keep that bike upright.
SB

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
I´ll do,silverbear!!! well its about 17.6 degrees Fahrenheit here now, so it sticks some....
trouble is braking! Seems like snow are similar all over.....but normally its been more feets of it here.... Fixed the ignition trouble now, and if fit, gonna make a longer test tomorrow!!

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Good Job Mr Leaded! Looks like good riding weather to me as long as you are the one doing the riding. Congratulations on the test ride. Dan

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Good Job Mr Leaded! Looks like good riding weather to me as long as you are the one doing the riding. Congratulations on the test ride. Dan
Thanks,Dan. I learned some on this build, who should have been thinked about, but i planned it out of my idea of design...not so much after my unknown technical understanding of a motorized bike....

First is that to remove (ok, it was because of the space...) pull starter. To travel around with a loose rope (ropestarter) , and all the unwilling pullstarts before the carb and ignition was straight on spot, and function, was bad!
If i done it again, the pullstart have been on the bike, period!

Second, the stupid one to get the engine as small as possible.....not thinking the electronic coil/ignition needed to be on the right spot, and when cutting that part loose, and needed fastned again.......and be staying exactly there,.¤%¤¤%&!!!

Third..........why haven't i done this before!!!!!
I got the thumbs up from the local DMW, and got some old handypaper about the cycletype in Norway to the early 50s, and no registration on this vintage. Needs a traffic insurance, as an moped (written in the book, but they didnt know...) and to be nice, inform the local police about all, so they dont wanna hunt me down!

Thanks to this forum for the ideas, tips, and all nice comments to forfill the build!
I´m gonna make a further review of the driving, before ending this post!
Regards to you all!
dnut

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Yes, there is alot to learn when you are trying to design and make something different. Many of the guys on the forum are "naturals" for this hobby and then there are alot of guys like me, I'll bet, that have a fairly good understanding of things mechanical that building these contraptions is a real good challenge and a whole lot of fun. Often when Silverbear and I are pondering something he is fond of saying something to the effect that "the build will tell us what we can do". Enjoy the snow, we haven't had hardly any winter here at all this year. Dan

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
The point on building, is not to preset parts change...but to find solutions which function out of your own ideas, perhaps even better than fabricated by big companys. They have to take more precautions about the cost, than function....and the idea of cusomizing is to try make a solution even better than standard production, and to give a design as you wished, not thats most cost effective, or productive. So i agree by Silverbear, try it, and result would say if it was a good idea or not! If not, a lesson learned, and creativity is needed to find another idea. Thats called brain development! He,he.

When thinking to use the sawmotor i was afraid that the centrifugal clutch wouldnt keep up without pedaling.....but at suprise, its keeping yet! I learned a lession about the strength of chainsaws there....And i gonna press it hard further too, Pedaling is for emegrency, not to be in normal use........

I fixed some guards on it, to be a little more looking for safety...mounted at engine,and other end to the frame......well another lession! It breaked quite fast at the engine of the vibration, even if the vibration is not a big thing at driving..... i can nearly feel it in the pedals, or steering handles....

Well Dan, have you been in near, i´d wanna take a chance of a punch on you!!! Enjoy snow????? I´m a trucker by work, drives & interests about old motorized vehicles all year around, and cut my skis (the wooden planks a normal norwegian is said to be born with) in age of 7y.o. till i didnt get any more from my parents! Lucky you.......well this winter havent been so bad here either, not much snow, and -degrees is just for the last weeks.
Keep it up!!

Last edited:

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
New ride today...reached quite easy 30mph..freezing cold,but!
Seems every thing function well, rechecking for the rear brake,who seems bad.
And not sure the clutch are keeping up over time........have to dismantle and check!

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Then this is DEAD! the clutches dont hold up, at least without pedaluse....it spins out real fast. And last, the magnesium crank case seems to be brittle....the engine shakes did that suddenly the hole engine nearly fell of the frame, most of the places where the bolts holded the engine, was broken bits....and crank case parted i pieces.....Fun, but seems the crankcase needs a lot more thinking about bolting to keep up!
........next is mounting another engine, moped/cyclemotor!