About my bike...

GoldenMotor.com

UhClem

May 14, 2009
North Carolina
First off, I'm a newbie to all of this and am lovin' this site. Great info from top to bottom and a community that is very civil and generous.

My son built his first MB a few weeks ago on a Trek mountain bike and he has been turning heads all over town. I will be ordering a kit after Memorial day. My first impulse is to install it on my current bike. After hours of reading on this site I see that no one but no one is building using any skinny wheeled "racing" bikes. I am curious as to why that is.

My bike is a 1981, French built Peugeot. A UE8M if that means anything to anyone. From what I have gleaned from the web, this is a run of the mill touring bike sold during the biking craze of the seventies and early eighties. I picked it up for 40 bucks at a going out of business sale at Western Auto. It was abandoned by it's owner. It is a quality bike and has been taken care of very well. Very little rust, chrome fenders, welded rat trap, lights and generator and in excellent working order. It is a tall bike with 27 inch wheels and a 61cm seat tube. I am tall and this suites me fine.

Aside from this being a French built bike with non-standard sizes all over it, what is the downside of motorizing a bike like this? My thoughts are to add some saddle bag baskets and use it as a grocery getter here in town maybe not so much on the open road.

Thanks.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Ten speeds are the same, just lower bars ect. There is nothing wrong or difficult about using one. Some builder here have used them. They are unique in that not many are built....GO FOR IT!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If there is any downside it would be the firm ride. The fat tire cruisers ride a little softer and that might be an issue if you're close to my age. My first bike was a road bike with skinny tires and I still have it but prefer my cruiser with the softer ride. Good luck and send us some pictures of your build. Oh....and welcome to the forum too.
Tom

UhClem

May 14, 2009
North Carolina
Thanks 2door. That is something I have thought little about. Haven't ridden in years. I have looked into comfort seats but you are right about the wheels making a difference in ride. I may try some non destructive mods to this unit and see what happens. Worse case is that I put it up for sale on EBay to finance a more suitable bike for my old, fat body. These bikes have a following and I have seen them fetch as much as 200 bucks. I like it though. I wore out a number of department store bikes in my youth. This bike is a big cut above those. It's in great shape and very clean for it's age.
I'll get some pics together as I get moving on this project after the holiday.

UhClem

May 14, 2009
North Carolina
PS Tom

I guess that I am hooked already. I forgot about the hockey playoffs AND I"M A PENGUINS FAN. This forum is priceless. I have been lurking here everyday since I found you. My son rushed his first build (youth is wasted on the young). He has already torn up one rear wheel. With the help that is here, he is now pointed in the right direction.

Here's a shot of the bike as is.

Last edited: