Bmp rip

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Terrible, terrible situation. I was looking forward to buying a few of their newly developed jackshaft kits.
I hope that someone buys their assets and re-ups the company.

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Looking at the kit from bmp it is very similar to the thatdax's kit. I dont know if they are the same or not, but thatsdax has a patent pending on his, that I know. BTW I just bought one 3 weeks ago from Duane and the kit so far has performed flawlessly. Super Titan with friction drive kit. What a great smooth ride with only about 25 miles on it so far. Not one complaint as of yet. If he is the only one left then you better buy as soon as he gets more in, JMHO. Im waiting for the in frames to come in personaly.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
For What It is Worth...............................................

I own a BMP and a Thats Dax friction kit. The quality and craftsmanship of the BMP is/was superior to the Thats Dax kit. The BMP made alot of noise though, where the ThatsDax kit is quiet. The noise came from the clutch clamoring around in the clutch bell drum. I was not the only person with this problem and was not the only person trying to find a solution. It might be something simple. Not sure.

Currently I run BMP hardware, but run the Thatsdax housing/friction roller. It is a smooth setup, I'm happy with it, and have been getting excellent millage out of the tires I run with very little wear due to throttle management and pedal starts.

Not sure of the real reason why BMP failed as a business entity. If i was to speculate, I would say........

Misdirection on new product launch, confusing web layout(we used to sell shirts, and we sold the piss out of them, we only gave the customer one choice of color.(gray) it made it less confusing. Supplier of parts could have upped the ante making profit margin dismal, and thatsdax launch of his similar friction kit made in China shipped for under $100 bones might have been the icing on the cake.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
The BMP noise you are referring to (vibration) can be cured by not using the long thru bolt, & using 2 shorter 3/8" bolts w/nylock nuts & washers to attach each side of the channel to the U mount. It worked for me & the annoying (loud) vibration noise is gone.
Also you sould take any play out of the drum shaft going thru the bearings. I added one washer & it allow the phillips end screw to act like a tensioner. I tighten it just until the shaft becomes stiff to spin, then back it off slightly & then set the collar allen set screw. The shaft spins nice and free without play (which also can causes vibration noise).
I just ordered some spare rollers & extra bearings from Jim @ BMP while he still has them. He has a few eBay listings for the rollers.
-Lowracer-

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Thanks for the tip Low,

The noise problem does not reside within the thru bolt. I took the shaft collars off, and placed them down on a piece of cork/rubber gasket material and made my own vibration dampening washers because HomeDepot wanted a arm and a leg for 2 of them. So I placed them everywhere metal came in contact with metal on the thru bolt assembly. No more vibration noise there. However, my thru bolt is getting excessive wear from the housing eating away at it, and might take your idea when I need to replace it.

It is weird the BMP's clutch bell is clean, shiny, smooth and lightweight, where as the Thatsdax clutch bell drum is rough, heavy, and is a lower grade metal, however, the clutch seems to grab the Thatsdax's drum better.

The clamoring/chattering within the clutch bell drum within the BMP comes from after you start the bike up. It idles fine, no noise there. However when the clutch just starts to grab the clutch bell drum, is where the chattering comes in, after the bike is riding/cruising the chattering is no more. It only occurs on initial acceleration to get the wheels moving.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Wonder if it is possible to glue noise dampening material to the outside of the clutch bell like on the clutch cover on a HT china motor?

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I've got over 2,500 miles on my friction drive and still pounding the pavement everyday. More reliable than the China 68.5/80cc kits.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I found this post by search function (re: clutch ringing).

I don't think the Dax and BMP kits are the same. A similar type of product, but with some differences. I don't think the Dax is "made in china".

I get some clutch ringing/clanging when operating the bike at low speeds (tanaka 2 shoe clutch on 33cc), but none on acceleration, or after about 18mph. I have been contemplating coating the clutch drum with Tool Dip, bonding a rubber donut to the back, made from a truck mud flap, or hoping to find some other option to shut it up. Has anybody modified their clutch springs, used lighter springs, or done something similar to get a lower RPM engagement?

For What It is Worth...............................................

I own a BMP and a Thats Dax friction kit. The quality and craftsmanship of the BMP is/was superior to the Thats Dax kit. The BMP made alot of noise though, where the ThatsDax kit is quiet. The noise came from the clutch clamoring around in the clutch bell drum. I was not the only person with this problem and was not the only person trying to find a solution. It might be something simple. Not sure.

Currently I run BMP hardware, but run the Thatsdax housing/friction roller. It is a smooth setup, I'm happy with it, and have been getting excellent millage out of the tires I run with very little wear due to throttle management and pedal starts.

Not sure of the real reason why BMP failed as a business entity. If i was to speculate, I would say........

Misdirection on new product launch, confusing web layout(we used to sell shirts, and we sold the piss out of them, we only gave the customer one choice of color.(gray) it made it less confusing. Supplier of parts could have upped the ante making profit margin dismal, and thatsdax launch of his similar friction kit made in China shipped for under $100 bones might have been the icing on the cake.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Lowracer, do you have any photos? I am very interested in this! I get some clutch noise (ringing,clanging) and some vibration at low RPM cruising, probably due to the clutch not fully engaging or engaging as tightly as at full throttle.

I understand the part about replacing the pivot bolt with 3/8" short bolts.

What do you mean about the "phillips end screw"? Does the BMP have a drilled/threaded hole in the center of the driveshaft, at the non-motor end?
The Dax kit I have has a collar, and a c-clip at the end. I spread the 2 collars at the sides of the roller as much as I could against the bearings (by hand). This helped a lot, too. The biggest reduction in vibration was from switching to a better tire. (CST Corporal)

The BMP noise you are referring to (vibration) can be cured by not using the long thru bolt, & using 2 shorter 3/8" bolts w/nylock nuts & washers to attach each side of the channel to the U mount. It worked for me & the annoying (loud) vibration noise is gone.
Also you sould take any play out of the drum shaft going thru the bearings. I added one washer & it allow the phillips end screw to act like a tensioner. I tighten it just until the shaft becomes stiff to spin, then back it off slightly & then set the collar allen set screw. The shaft spins nice and free without play (which also can causes vibration noise).
I just ordered some spare rollers & extra bearings from Jim @ BMP while he still has them. He has a few eBay listings for the rollers.
-Lowracer-