aluminum frame vs steel frame???

GoldenMotor.com

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I have had both and can't really say if one is better then the other. I am around 6'2" and 235lbs and both held up fine for me. My only thought is that if you would have a weld failure...it is much easier to weld steel then aluminum unless you have a local shop or know someone who can weld aluminum for you if a problem develops. My advice would be to inspect the welds of any bike you buy regardless of whether it is steel or aluminum and possibly save yourself some grief later.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
IMHO steel would be better under the following conditions: Constantly riding on rough bumpy surfaces, potholes, riding off curbs, trails etc..

Aluminum is harder to weld, but should be fine if you mostly ride on good paved roads/steets .

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
This thread caught my eye!
We are motorizing our bikes and going much faster that the bikes were designed for.
I think aluminum frames are quite rigid, and that creates a problem that some people have already mentioned: welds cracking.

Old fashioned steel frames with relatively small tube diameters, but heavier wall thickness, like the husky industrial bikes seem to be the best in my mind because they will flex a little, saving the frame from major failures.

I do like the looks of that aluminum frame bike kit that you can get from gasbike with the built in gas tank.
Has anybody purchased one of those frames and given it ****? I would like to know what they have to say about that frame.

-Fred
drn2

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have both, the aluminum frame bike climbs hills better due to less weight. The steel frame bike rides smoother, each has its benefits.

gearjnkee

Aug 29, 2012
HogTown
As a framebuilder I got to go with steel.. But, the addition of a motor with its added touqe makes the stiffness of aluminium more attractive. However aluminium has no memory and cracks quickly under repeated stressors. So... I still got to go with steel. aluminium is only good when it has a Budweiser logo on it...LoL