Gas Motor w/ Coaster Brake?

GoldenMotor.com

Megahertz37

Jul 10, 2012
Bloomington, IL
Hello All,
I've had two electric bikes (Ezip was better than the Etour) but this past weekend me & my sons bikes were stolen. What kind of *)(&W(%* steals a little boys bike! (he's six) Anyway, I have purchased a bike from Walmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-Onyx-29-Cruiser-Bicycle/16203481?findingMethod=rr
It looks like it has plenty of room for a 49cc motor (the largest legal in IL). However the bike has cruiser brakes which I guess would be a little unusual for modern bikes. Does anyone have a suggestion about what engine to get or advice concerning coaster brake builds? I'm really out of my element. Thank you for your time!
.we.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Last edited:

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
My cousin, who introduced me to motorized bikes, had one that had a coaster brake on it. It seemed to work just fine, and he had one of the usual 2-stroke bike engines on it. However, he only seemed to ride it short distances on flat country roads. My current bike has v-brakes, so unfortunately I don't have much more to say about coaster brakes. If you plan on some serious riding, I'd probably go with some kind of drum brake, whether it's v or u brakes. Or of course disc brakes. But if you're planning on using your bike as a toy, cruiser brakes might work out alright.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Mega.

I have to say, man. This topic has been discussed a million times. Do a search on Onyx, and you'll come up with a million bikes. I have seen many of those with a motor already on it. So, if you want to get a bike with coaster brakes, then you should also add front brakes.

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Somewhere in those Onyx threads I saw one where they showed (with pictures) front brake installation. He did mention problems with larger frame and handlebar tubing which led into engine mount and hand brake installations.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I know there are guys doing motors with a coaster brake.
I think they are accidents waiting to happen.
One day they will NEED to stop quickly and they cannot.
Caliper brakes are bottom of the barrel in my experience also.

My 2 cents is see if the store will take the bike back in exchange for one with V brakes or a disc (discs?). V brakes work well.

Megahertz37

Jul 10, 2012
Bloomington, IL
Thanks guys for all the input! This forum is awesome. I'm new to building but with all the info here & helpful folks, I'm sure I can pull it off & can't wait to get started. I'd love for mine to look like Craigers - Reminds me of the early 1900's motorbikes. Tooooo Cool!!

Attachments