Broken big end pin

GoldenMotor.com

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL
Has anyone ever broken the big end pin, I did. Not sure how but after a loud snap, clank, click. tink, tink. The jug and piston were gouged badly 1/4" deep, Now i can move the magneto and the small gear independently.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Has anyone ever broken the big end pin, I did. Not sure how but after a loud snap, clank, click. tink, tink. The jug and piston were gouged badly 1/4" deep, Now i can move the magneto and the small gear independently.
I can't see how a "pin" could break, I've seen the crankshaft break in two (V8 engines), but never a wrist pin. Since you say you can move the magneto and the small gear independently., I'm assuming that is what you mean, (crankshaft journal) where the the rod rides. The top of the rod rides in a bearing which is over the wrist pin, in the piston. Has to be a defect in manufacturing.

Last edited:

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL
I'm assuming that is what you mean, (crankshaft journal) where the the rod rides.
Yep, sheared right in half. Motors been running strong for about a year and half. All the bearings seem fine, no grinding sounds and they spin freely, I can't see how it's even possible to break there, Everything else should have broken first. Don't know I'll post pics as soon as I get my gear tool back.

lol, must'a been the rubber around the frame.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Nice set of paperweights you have there!
This is the first time I have ever heard of a China Girl snapping the crank pin.
What vendor did you get it through, if you don't mind me asking?

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL
I wanna say Gasbike.net. It was a true grubee GT-5. It's been running great for over year and a half, at least 2000 miles. Rain, snow it is my car literally. Has to be a casting flaw like Al said. There just is not enough power created by these motors to break things like that. OH well... So about this crank balancing thing Who's got the best info on home balancing?

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I can't see how a "pin" could break, I've seen the crankshaft break in two (V8 engines), but never a wrist pin. Since you say you can move the magneto and the small gear independently., I'm assuming that is what you mean, (crankshaft journal) where the the rod rides. The top of the rod rides in a bearing which is over the wrist pin, in the piston. Has to be a defect in manufacturing.
A lot of people refer to it as a crank pin.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I wanna say Gasbike.net. It was a true grubee GT-5. It's been running great for over year and a half, at least 2000 miles. Rain, snow it is my car literally. Has to be a casting flaw like Al said. There just is not enough power created by these motors to break things like that. OH well... So about this crank balancing thing Who's got the best info on home balancing?
I balanced my crank. It's pertty easy. The problem is finding a crank without too much runout.

Go to about page 3

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=34287