Just a few questions...

GoldenMotor.com

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
First off, for those who have been keeping up with my other posts about my little "Red Baron" :D

... it's been running great the past few days.

However, I noticed some black liquid running down underneath my bike frame. What is this? because the only liquid that goes in my motor is greenish blue.

Also, my motor seems to shut off automatically whenever I pull in the clutch and am not holding the throttle enough to keep it running. The kill switch at this point seems useless.

So, my questions are... what is this black liquid leaking down under my frame and how do I stop the leaking? And.. should I worry that my bike is unable to idle, if so, how do I make it to where it idles on it's own rather than me having to hit the throttle?

Thanks in advance guys! (You guys are a lot of help by the way!)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Heya, sorry I haven't kept up with your build. (sweet looking bike btw!)

That black goop is half burnt oil building up in your pipe. It's normal for running on 'break-in' mix. I'd triple check your exhaust gasket for leaks if its getting all over your frame...

For your idle, just turn in the idle screw until it doesn't die on you. You might need to take a little more slack out of your clutch cable, if it barely catches it will kill the motor at idle speed.

Best of luck!

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
My English 101 Professor is an experienced Harley owner/rider. Although I realize the big difference between a Harley Davidson motorcycle, and a Motorized 66cc Bicycle.. he said that if I'm at 16:1 currently and excess oil is leaking then maybe I should consider going a bit more lenient on the oil to 12:1 or so.. would this be recommended by anyone else?

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
Yeah, see, that's what I was thinking also. I think what he was getting at is that the less oil you have in the mixture, the less excess oil you'll have dripping out. I don't think he took into consideration the aspect of the break-in period, (although I failed to tell him that), and that it is only a 66cc not a Harley, therefore fuel and what not would be pretty different.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When looking at the ratio of oil to gasoline, the larger number represents the gasoline, the smaller the oil.
A 24:1 ratio, which we recommend for break in, means 24 parts gasoline to 1 part oil. Your Harley riding prof is mistaken about the 12:1 recommendation. That will be way too much oil and will cause you more problems than a little "black goo".
Your carburetor should have an idle speed screw to set/adjust the idle speed. Try that, as was suggested above.
Tom

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
It now idles. Thanks! And the black liquid is still visible but I still don't see it's source. I think it's fine for now, because I just had a couple drops on my shed's floor when I got back from being out of town over the weekend. 2-3 days of sitting there, and only a couple drops from a leak.. I wouldn't say that's very bad..