A Dash For My Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I didn't like my handle bar mount of the GPS. So I thought what I need is a small dash where I could mount the GPS and maybe a switch for some red LED lights that will shine down on the motor.

Here is an idea done in cardboard with the GPS mount attached to it instead of the handle bar mount.

On the bottom of the "dash" will be a hole so that the metal plate (dash) will settle down around the bolt head that holds the handle bar in the down tube. The light switch will be on either side of the GPS. There will be 2 "U" bolts holding the dash to the handle bars. I already have 12v wires in place for the GPS. The actual shape of the dash probably will change some.

Any ideas on improvements to this basic idea?

Terry

PS: The light shield around the GPS is made from some gasket material I had. It works GREAT!

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
So what all does it do? Looks pretty fancy.
Its a regular GPS with maps, programmable destination with voice direction, picture files and the speedometer as you can see. It tracks where you go so you can export the file to a mapping program. It shows elevation, speed, average speed, top speed and direction of travel and has a compass.

The main reason I got it was because of the size of the screen and brightness of the screen. The screen brightness has 3 settings also. But...it is getting old and Lowrance doesn't have any updated maps for it. The maps are a couple years old now. I don't think they even sell that model any longer.

Terry

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think maybe some kind of little fly screen to hide it behind might look good, and provide some sun shade.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
sorry to sound like a debbie downer.
i know police in florida don't like red & blue accent lights. every other collor is allowed.
i believe amber is allowed in every state.
orange might give you a close enough effect.