have REAL power loss now!

GoldenMotor.com

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Ok Norman, I will give this another try. I already told you about the carb type, plug type and the gap plus the fuel mix and the air cleaner. Now on to air leaks. I have no idea. Obviously I'm not as good at this stuff as you are. How do you check for air leaks. I don't "think" that the intake manifold gasket is blocking the intake. No o-ring on the carb. I don't believe that the exhaust gasket is restricting the port. Head bolts are tight. Again don't know if there are any leaks around the head or cylinder base and don't know how to find out. I still have the old carb and if I still have all the parts and pieces it will run but leak gas like a sieve, but has a lot more power. I have two carb needles that I have been swapping in and out and they both seem to run about the same.

Whew... That's a lot of questions to stand up to <grin> You know your stuff Norman.

Here's a question for you... do you think that cleaning out my muffler might make a difference? My engine turned my new spark plug black in just one day so I'm just wondering.

Thank you so much for your help. Sorry I couldn't answer some of the questions better. I'm still pretty new at this and was never mechanical at all until I got this bike and I'm just now learning.

thanks man,
cd

what type of carb we talking about what type of spark plug and its gap and fuel mix.
Is the carb air cleaner clean is the choke off?
checked for air leaks? is the intake manifold gasket blocking the intake?
Did you try an o-ring to seal the carb to the intake which I think is the wrong thing to do is so is it still in place and not sucked into the engine.
your exhaust gasket restricting the port?
head bolts tight?
no leaks around the head or cylinders base?
do you still have the old carb? will it wok any better?
some of the carbs needles are not tapered correctly if at all mic top middle and bottom let me know your reading if you can. Pablo send me his problem child carb that I got to working correctly then sent it back to him.
just some of the things that you can check that might be causing your problem.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I know this is by far the dumbest suggestion you will get but have you sealed your intake manifold.
With me, there IS no dumb question lol... can you explain a little better? I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. I think I do but want to be sure. Are you talking about the piece the carb bolts on to that goes into the engine? If that is your question, I have to say that I don't know. should I take it off and look? (sorry for the dumb question)

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I just wanted to take a minute to thank you all for helping me. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have you guys to talk to. Ya'll are great. As I get better maybe I can pass some of this along too.

cd

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I know this is by far the dumbest suggestion you will get but have you sealed your intake manifold.
deacon, the motor & kit was given to me as a gift and a lot of things came already assembled. So that's why I can't answer some of your questions. I did not put this engine together myself. Maybe that will explain why I'm a bit of a dunce about all this.

cd

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
To all that are mentioning leaks in the intake, I have a question for you - if he's got a leak in the intake manifold, wouldn't he be running lean instead of awfully rich?

Anyway crabdance, do check for leaks, start the motor and get it up to temp. Then with it just idling, spray some carb cleaner where the intake meets the cylinder, where the carb connects to the intake tube, etc. If the idle changes, you probably have an air leak.

Your plug should not be turning black after one day. If you open up both of your carbs, you can compare the size of the jet. I'm wondering if your new jet is bigger than the old or something. Norman's carb thread should have the info you need to be able to compare them.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well if you changed the carb and it is still doing the same thing, I would think the carb wasn't the original problem. I would put back the old one. While I was at it i would take a look at the intake manifold and seal it just to be on the safe said then I would start the bike and see what happens. I only say this because it is the most obvious problem. I would also check the choke opening while I was at it.

Now if all of this failed to make it right, I would scream for norm. It is hard to believe that two carbs would both have identical problems, that is why I would look somewhere else. Maybe at the air filter If you used the same one on both carbs.

That's just me though I am not a mechanic to be honest.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I thought the old carb was leaking gas and that was the problem?
That's right Jason, the old carb had a BAD gas leak and I was never able to find out why. The carb with the bad leak would fly, I think due to the abundance of gas. But it leaked REAL bad and I just gave up on it. Now no more leaks but not much power. I'm beginning to wonder if the performance that I am getting right now is normal? I tried the e-clip on all settings and it didn't make much of a difference. Everyone has been so helpful.... I've been waiting but no one has told me to go jump yet (smile). Thanks everyone.

cd

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
I had a leak on my carb so I made a new gasket for the bowl and it fixed the problem, I don't know if you know where your leak is but you could check there. To make your new gasket go to a auto parts store and ask for gasket material and they will hook you up, make sure it is gas resistant. take your bowl off of your old carb and put some oil around the top and then press it onto your gasket paper. this will give you an outline to cut around with your exacto knife. the gasket material is really cheap so don't worry about messing up a couple times. have fun with it. I just put it on with the old gasket and it seemed to fix the problem.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Joshua, as I recall the leak in the carb was mostly around the "tickler" button and perhaps a few other places. It leaked bad. It really poured out. If I get my nerve up about the gasket material I might try it and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the tip. Just have to get the nerve lol.

Last edited:

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Right now, my top speed is about 18 mph. How does that fit with what everyone else knows. normal, too slow, what?

thanks everyone

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
sounds a little low but I think more important would be how does the engine sound and what are the roads like.

That black plug.the sign of rich running, could well be from the first carb... Still wait for the real mechanics to jump in. I would still check for an air leak around the manifold joint. It is simple to do and can't hurt. I have an o ring in the bottom of my joint and never had any more trouble from it.

Also how does it run with the choke on. That might be interesting to know. Mine bogs down after a few yards with the choke on to any degree. That's how it should act.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I bet if you would mail that leaky carb to Norman he would fix it and send it back to you. You'd do that wouldn't you Normy? Norman can fix anything...........................

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Sure all Crabdance has to do is PM me for my address and pay shipping I'll either fix it or tear it all up so no one can fix it.rotfl
I wonder what one of them carbs sounds like when thrown out of an airplane?!
Let me know I'll take a look at it I've got 70cc and the cough cough 80cc engines if I can get the leak to stop I'll check for the correct size main jet and for the proper taper on the needle and set the float.
Norman

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
All good suggestions.

Note: When warm outside I barely need my choke to start and it runs like crap with choke 1/4 on and will die right away full on. All normal choke behavior.

Get a new NGK plug, get a carb o-ring (or seal with RTV), and try the "choke test".

Carb 0-ring:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If the new plug was black, then it's too rich. The engine I recently sold was rich even when I had it on the top notch. I mixed my gas/oil mixture at 24:1 which leaned it a little, and opened up the air filter cover and it quit four cycling and ran great.