quality of cruiser?

GoldenMotor.com

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
I have been in the market for a new (or old) cruiser to replace the schwinn skyliner ,I dont have alot to lay out,I have been checking out these micargi cruisers on line wich seem popular.
While at wallmart I saw a huffy cranbrook,once I got past the name I thought it might make a good choice,has anyone had experience with any of these?
...are the coaster brakes a problem?
The Cranbrook is only 89 bucks and I dont have to have it shipped....I may try it,Id like a new shwinn but it aint gonna happen this summer.
My schwinn is just so beat down ...I gotta do somthing soon

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
rmeloy,
I looked at the Huffy and I wasn't impressed with the construction. Heck, they didn't even close up the ends of the cantilever bars where they weld to the stem. I have no personal experience with the Micargi but in the past there have been some negative comments made here about their frame integrity. Seems there were some that developed cracks. But, I've also seen some nice Micargi builds and they have some good looking bikes at reasonable prices. As for the Schwinns; I'm on my second Jaguar, $149. at Target and on sale often for $124. I got one for $99. because of a few scratches. It is a good solid bike with the only area I found deficient being the kickstand mount. I reinforced both of mine. That's my input. Let us know what you decide.
Tom

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I'd throw $ at the Schwinn. I don't know what's wrong w/ it so I can't say for sure. But, for example, maybe you could throw a new purpose built rear wheel. Or maybe some of your bearings could use an overhaul, suspension forks, better brakes etc. $200 would go quite a long way to bringing your Schwinn around.

My feeling on dept store bikes is that they're designed to be disposable. They're barely adequite as bicycles, let alone motorbicycles. However the Schwinn cruiser frame (windwood, jaguar etc. they are the same) is a strong frame and a good platform. Much of the periferies are ok h'bars, stem, fork (though susp. is nice).

Upgraded wheels (w/ some type of non rubber donut sprocket mount), upgraded brake(s) (w/ pads or shoes that aren't bathing in grease), good chain (track chain or BMX freestyle) and drive train bits, a new $20 Japanese headset, a nice seat etc. These are all things that will greatly effect one of these cruisers for the better. They also improve these bikes to a riding standard higher than what your thinking of replacing it w/.

Again I don't know the extent of your Schwinn's problems and people on this forum and elsewhere have made good looking, seemingly reliable mb's out of the Cranbrook and Macargi (I too have read bad stuff about Macargis though). I just think that so many useful bikes get thrown away and replaced w/ more cheap bikes that will be thrown away. IMHO

Some cons of coaster brakes:

When coaster brakes fail (usually the result of chain breakage or derailment) they fail suddenly and completely.

Coaster brakes are prone to overheating and fading when used in mountainous areas.

Too many bikes are equipped with only a coaster brake, so there's no back-up system available in the event of brake failure.

To be safe, any bicycle needs a front brake and some sort of secondary backup braking system.

for the complete pros and cons of coaster brakes

Bicycle Coaster Brakes

I hope this is helpful!

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Yeah I just bought a Cranbrook for the Wife because she wanted a classic bike. (5 years ago when I wasn't looking for them they just fell into my lap, but now that I want them I can't ever find them unless their way overpriced.) So I saw the Cranbrooks and had her pick one. She liked the male model more so we got it. I am looking at the worksmanship and welding done....I would never put a motor on this bike. They didn't get the side tubes even. There is almost an inch of difference, lol. I just started building frames and can do better than that. Also there are a lot of poorly done high stress welds that wouldn't take long to seriously rattle that bike to bits. Still your choice but for safety's sake I wouldn't motorize it.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Just stopping to say you really need to check out the thrift stores. Neighbor got a nice Specialized last Saturday for $15. There was a Fuji as well, but it was sold before he got back. Every other Saturday is 1/2 price day at Goodwill.

Sure you may have to go a bunch of times, but $15 compared to $150, even if you need to do a little work is worth it.

Srjeeper

Aug 15, 2009
NE Pa.
rmeloy,
Being new to the MB thing, I can give only my limited experience with my Cranbrook. I liked the bike right off, but it has some short comings and some strong points. The strong points for me are the steel frame w/lifetime warranty, looks, fit, affordability, and ease to work on. The short comings are the wheels & brakes. I'm upgrading both at the moment, but it rides very nice and handles my 48cc china girl very nicely. I did remove the fenders right away and added a back rack, speedo and lights but that's about all I plan on doing to mine for now.

MB's are alot like Jeeps I believe, they're built not bought. (^)

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I'm positive that motorization is a warranty voider! Lordoflightaz, it's good to see others encouraging the recycling of cycles.

Just picked up a Trek 4100 this wknd for $50 it needs nothing (except a motor of course)!

(steps up to pulpit) Bikes are a very under utilized over disposed of commodity in our society; it seems a waste of resources to purchase new all the time. Not being righteous just a little conciencious (I buy new too, sometimes). (dismounts high horse).wee.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Yeah I agree with buying used. I just get free bikes all the time because people know what I do. I do like the Cranbrooks look but yeah the wheels brakes and fender were junky. Do you have a motor on yours? If you have I might feel better about motorizing one. It just seems if you actually look at some of the welds on the one I picked up they are a lil on the scetchy side.. but just like these motors I guess it could just be a bad apple.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
drn2i have a huffy from walmart i had for about a year so far no problems i bought it for for 84.00 plus tax

Same here. I made the clerk pull every one down off the rack so I could look them all over and I picked the best one. Only problem I've had so far is the rear fender quite simply fell apart.

1st the L bracket broke so I replaced it with one I made out of some 1/8" stock, it lasted two days. 2nd attempt was made out of the bottom corner of a 5gal. bucket. I figured that the vibes were fatiguing the metal so maybe polyethylene plastic would hold up better, it did, lasted a full week before it broke. Since the last repair the front 2" of the fender broke off just below the rolled edge, metal fatigue again.

I've crushed steel beer cans that were tougher then these fenders. Can't count the number of good heavy steel sets I threw in the trash when I pulled them off old cruisers as a kid and now that I want a cruiser WITH fenders.... lol