New build won't start

GoldenMotor.com

davearoy

Apr 25, 2009
Lakeland, Florida
I just finished my first build (tonite) and I can not get the engine to start. I got good spark, fuel to the bottom of the carbuator bowl, good compression, but my spark plug is not wet with fuel. I even tried to put an eye dropper of fuel in the spark plug hole, still no luck. The acelator cabruator cylinder moves up and down when I turn the throtle. Could I possibly have a air leak a air leak between the carb and the engine intake tube? Any ideas?

Thank for your help

Dave

:-||

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Are you sure the motor is turning over. Have you tried twisting the throttle slightly while trying to start? Experiment with the choke on and off.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
while you pedal, try to start with full choke and move it towards closed while giving it a little gas. itll start.

but you say it wont go with gas in the cylinder?

hm.

try to get it started while playing with the choke, the worst that SHOULD happen is flooding which in turn will wet your spark plug and eliminate a plugged carb passage.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Are you sure youre getting spark? My wire connector came apart under the tape i'd put on to make that would not happen, and I spent 10 minutes peddling around wondering what was wrong. Also plug wire has come loose-

Maybe kill switch sticking or grounding somewhere?

petcock open?

water in gas?

Clutch popping out enough?

Last edited:

midatlanticcycle

Apr 14, 2009
leola, pa.
dave: a few items to check and i know this from exact same experience you had. if you have chinese 2-stroke, first off........DITCH the chinese sparkplug that came with it. they're junk. go with NGK B5HS or B6HS. the 5 is a tad hotter heat range. though you may have spark with plug out of motor and grounded, the compression knocks out the spark when it's installed in the head/motor. also remove the carb and intake manifold and reseal the manifold. they all leak air at this mating surface. basically, you just want to put good rtv sealant on both sides of gasket and reinstall manifold. use it sparingly. but i'm 99% sure it's the plug

toad772

Jul 12, 2009
canada
my runs better with open choke now lol and the stock plug is fine it's what I run don't replace till needed