ZERO's First Build (Tribrid)

GoldenMotor.com

zero240sx

May 29, 2009
Kentucky
HERE IS NEW VIDEO YouTube - Tribrid Bicycle

OK i figured i would put this on while its still fresh (since im not completely finished)

I have E-zip Trailz electric bike and Bought a 66cc kit from Bikeberry.

Monday- i got the kit and started to put it on at about 3:30pm...figured out that there wasnt enough room for the motor the way it came so i took off the mounting plate that curves to the bar... swapped the hardware because the down tube is huge...and used the sprocket hardware for the back mount. in attempt to bend the longer front mount hardware i broke one...discouraged, i figured i would do something that would work right....so i put the chain on.
i didnt see how it was going to work so i picked the bike up...put it on top of the jeep and took it to my father-in-laws garage. later i found out that since i had the clutch cover off i lost the pin and ball on the way over.... but no problem there... we grinded down the front mount to cuff around the down tube and took the E-zip electric chain off, put the new chain around all the sprockets which include both motors and the 20T freewheel sprocket at the 26 in back wheel. So with out the front motor mount attatched it was 10:00 time enough to eat and go home.

Tuesday- Got back over to the garage about 5:00pm and brought a muffler clamp to mount on top of the front motor mount to keep it still. Put the tank behind the seat on the rack, switched sides with the electric throttle, scooted the gear switcher over and put the brake in between them. i put the throttle on and mounted it which seems a little cheep but anyways....i decited to test it out and we put some gas in it and gas started leaking out of the little brown button because there wasnt enough room for the carb to be straight even though i took off that black cover. we turned it to the other side and cut off whatever was in the way...not too much though. it was close to being straight so we put it on a block and hit the electric throttle. with a little gas throttle it started up and ran good it seemed the tensioner wasn't impressing me though. but i took it off the block and headed for the little curvy highway. it got up to 23 which the electric motor only goes like 17 so it was pretty nice. i turned around started heading back. through all of the excitment and loud noise i started feeling alot of vibration and looked down. the motor was quite shaky so i hit the killswitch and held it and let the electric take me back. time to eat and get home.

Wednesday- Got back to the garage real late after church 9:30 PM but we planned on staying the night so then i started putting on 2 straps and 2 bolts around the bottom tube and top of motor. it seemed to be pretty tight. bed time again

Thursday morning- 8:00am had to tighten up the chain and used the currie motor mount and thought i had it pretty tight. soo i took off the tensioner. and had to put some washers on the straps to tighen up the motor more. it was about time for work and i thought it was good to go and headed out. it didnt feel right, it was only going like 18 and there was alot of chain shaking soo i stopped and the chain wasnt tight enough. i kept on but then the chain broke soo i went back peddling the 100 pound bike lol. we put the chain back on and the tensioner but i had to go to work and here i am but when i get time i will go back and try again.

i want to thank all of the
people who have been helping
me though the chat box.
Thanks Zero (Cody)

Attachments

Last edited:

zero240sx

May 29, 2009
Kentucky
Re: Respuesta: ZERO's First Build (Tribrid)

thanks man i just cant wait to get it up on that big mean hill i got it for.... ohh yeah there is a city garage and dump next to the church where i work and one of the guys told me about a schwinn chopper someone had there and said i should go talk to him that he would probably give it to me so i went over there and talked to his nephew and hea said he would probably give it to me, but he was gone on vacation and he would be back monday so i asked if i could see it and he said it was in the corner of the garage and it still had the paper and tag on it... it must have been one walmart through away from defect because the fork and wheel and handlebar was off but i could work with it anyway, it is a green one.

i also traded a guy like 6 kids bike for a silver chopper bike but i havent seen him in a few days to recieve my end of the bargain. ill get it though. so now hopefully i will have 2 choppers to convert to the dark side of speed.

if anyone has a burned up motor, i would be interested in buying the clutch pin and ball if anyone could help please PM me.

zero240sx

May 29, 2009
Kentucky
Ok, Sunday June 28..... i was able to get back up to the shop for the first time in a few days and try to work on it some more...i put it up on a jack stand to get it started and see how it ran but it woudnt start...i tightened up the tentioner 2 times because it seemed to wobble too much...but it still never started...gas came dripping out of the muffler but smoke did too and it still wouldnt run... after using the electric motor to start it for awhile... the chain broke and bent in another place soo im not sure if i need to use this chain anymore....or maybe i just need to check and fix every link to make sure it wont come apart while im driving down the road.
i believe i heard you can find a chain at Lows or Tractor supply... i will check Lows but our Tractor supply isnt open yet.

Last edited:

zero240sx

May 29, 2009
Kentucky
ok its FRIDAY JULY 17, i ordered 2 415h KMC chains from NIAGARA CYCLE WORKS also a master link and a half link and a chain breaker.... i was able to fix the stock chain with the breaker which i didnt think would have been possible but it was actually kinda easy with the took.

so now as soon as i get time im going back to the shop to put the new chain on and tighten the crap out of it with the tentioner to give it some room to stretch without having to tighten it so soon. im also going to put the other spark plug on it since it wouldnt start the last try.

my plan with the bike is to get a bigger freewheel sprocket, instead of the factory 20t i would like to find at least a 25t but i havent had any luck even finding one that i think would even fit. that would slow down the max speed of both motors, but i would like to get another 12v battery to run in series with the factory pack to get 36v so that the electric motor can keep up with the 66cc 2-stroke thats on a smaller sprocket than it needs to be on. i believe i could also run my brake light and signals on the same 12v battery without causeing any problems. and i could still charge the 24v normally and the 12v with my booster pack.

anyways that was probably a little confusing but im going to make sure about these things before i might screw anything up. i would like some help finding a bigger sprocket for the factory left hand freewheel. thanks alot for anyone who might know something about it.

Thanks... Cody Alan Wisniewski (ZERO)

zero240sx

May 29, 2009
Kentucky
First real ride 2 miles

Tuesday July 28th- ok i got the chain tight with the tentioner and rode about a 1/2 mile and back to the garage and the chain lossed up again so we lossened up the bolts on the tentioner and tried to tighten it again and the threads were stripped and i wasnt going to wait another week to try and come back so we pushed it as tight as we could and welded it to the bar. .bld.

wooo it was awsome i rode it from the garege to my wifes dads house. it was have a hard time at full throttle but i figured it would be untill broke in. and on my was the back wheel picked up a stupid wire off the side of the road and wrapped it around my cassette and locked me up but i got it off and started back... most of this was up hill and the top was about 22 but once i got to a straight stretch which was almost flat i got up to 25 and the throttle was straightening up.

before all of this i had one problem. we had the back up on a jack stand and got it started with the electric motor which i have to use every time i start it, we let it run to see how well it ran and to check the throttle and to turn the electric switch off at the controller. one problem the motor was still rolling and causing the controller to light up all three battery lights so i decited that couldnt be good for the controller even with the switch off but with the switch on it bogged down the gas motor.

SOLUTION i cut the positive wire and ran a switch from both sides of the cut wire, the switch is located in front of the seat on the back of the "Child Seat" bar i have on there for my 1 year old son , it fit in there perfect. so now i can use the motor to start it and hit the switch to cut the motor off directly and give the gas motor less stress to pull and it keeps the electric motor from burning up and keeps the battery from being over charged and keeps the controller from being confused. there is only one problem i have found so far with the switch, if you cut off the electric motor with the switch you cant just switch it back on... you have to switch it back on and then turn the controller switch off and on. so i will need to re rought that switch to make it easier to do while riding.

one more problem... my mirror gets in the way of the left brake lever and so i need a new mirror that kinda sticks out more i guess im going to order one today... one more problem. i need the clutch pin and ball in order to use the electric motor by itself before i start the gas motor. i also need to get a better brake. i guess ill try and get one for the front... i would like a disk brake but i dont know... i also want to put a big mud tire on the front i have one and its real wide i think it would benifit more than it would look stupid.

zero240sx

May 29, 2009
Kentucky
i have a feeling that if i had pictures ... this would be more interesting so i will work on that... but for an update.
I now have about 40 miles on it and my top speed has been 39 down hill, flat i get about 27. and on the big hills i do have to use the electric and peddle. but the hills here are big... if i had maybe a 30t sprocket it would be better because the motor wouldnt try to die less that 13 mph... i can tell a difference when i cut off the motor, it frees up the 2 stroke pretty good. i had to tighten up the chain again because the electric motor mount is pulling in. but i have it real tight now... i sorta regret it but i spent 50 bucks on a chain breaker and a third hand chain tightener at our new tractor supply but i was glad to get it back on the road. so now the chain is tight enough to not have to use the chain tenchioner but if it loosens, its still welded there and i can slide the wheel down to use it.

i do plan on getting some pics on here and some videos on you tube. so thanks again and i hope this might help someone else do another one... its costed me about 800 altogather. some from trial and error and some tools you might already have but it was worth it i guess. i might have to recaulculate that. later ill keep updates.

HERE IS A VIDEO YouTube - Tribrid Bicycle

Last edited: