Buying the Right Bike

GoldenMotor.com

tascott

Jun 6, 2009
Virginia
So here is my issue. I have 2 bikes that the engine won't fit (without major modification) and I had a question for everyone. If I bought a Huffy Cranbrook from wal-mart will my engine from Bike Motor Kits Motorized Bicycles Engine Bike kits work? it's an 80cc engine and if you look at my older threads you will see the problem with my other bikes. Will I have to bend the braking arm on the huffy? If so any suggestions for a good bike that will not require this much work?=

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I believe several members have used the cranbrook.

I have built many bikes with coaster brakes, in fact most of them were except for two. It is very easy to bend the brake arm. In fact, many of them I did not have to do anything to the brake arm.

As far as the Huffy? I dont know. Here are some mebers who have built the Cranbrook, you can ask them.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/first-build-8748.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/huffy-cruiser-pics-finnaly-big-carb-5457.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/my-first-motorized-huffy-cruiser-4873.html

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Every bike frame has it's quirks when you install a motor. If you clearly post the problem, there are several memebers that will respond with help.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i have a schwinn del mar cruiser and theres no modifications needed with this one.
no bending the brake arm and you take off the wheel dust cap and the sprocket fits on just fine.i used a spacer between the sprocket and wheel and the chain clears the back tire.
i use my tensioner to keep the chain straight with the rear sprocket.

my bike is just like the huffy cranbrook but with fuller fenders and a rear rack.

tascott

Jun 6, 2009
Virginia
what brand of engine cabin fever? Mine have no clearance, but problem solved I am using another bike instead... I'll post pictures in a new thread soon, thank you for the input though! It has all helped tremendously.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i have a 48cc dualstart starfire gt-2 grubee from gasbike.net.
my engine is mounted high on frame with 2 rearmounts on rear and metal bracket for front mount. my engine is wider than regular clutch start engines and i still have plenty of clearance,maybe you didnt raise the motor or tilt it enough.

what other bike are you using?

tarstar

Jun 16, 2009
can
I baught a ccm ecco steal frame and it seems to be the right fit does anyone have any suggestions ? the back engine frame mount seems fine but the front one barley fits between the two bolts .. should i ben the frame or should i drill through the frame..

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
I baught a ccm ecco steal frame and it seems to be the right fit does anyone have any suggestions ? the back engine frame mount seems fine but the front one barley fits between the two bolts .. should i ben the frame or should i drill through the frame..
Don't drill your frame..... or bend it

Read.....the answers are all here....its been done before

Mounting Techniques - Bicycle Motor at Motorized Bicycle Forum

You can make a bracket for the front mount

Last edited: