The Flying Pigeon

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Gregg,
Unless you're into leather work you might want to check with our forum owner, Paul, when it comes time to upholster that seat. He does some beautiful leather work, and/or he has any tools you might need.

The project is coming along great, and we're all watching. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Tom

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
I'm subscribed. I owned an old Dutch 3 speed from the late 1950's many years back. Unfortunately it wasn't a 28" wheel bike, just a run of the mill, EA-3 rimed 26 x 1-3/8ths bike. PO had completely stripped it's original paint and did a half decent rattle can paint job, so I have no idea who made it. It did have a Sachs Torpedo 3 speed gearhub, which was very smooth and nice running.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
" My old bikes certainly don't get hung on any wall." --Intrepid Wheelwoman.

You know......that's really not a bad idea at all. I could picture myself hanging a few old favorite bikes on the wall. But then, I'm abnormal.

I don't suppose my wife would like the idea. And so it'll probably never happen.

I only barely got away with this:
DSCN0433.JPG
(I'm also deeply in love with the classic science fiction from the 'golden age')

And I also have managed to make a good towel hanger in the bathroom from an old bicycle seat. She never complained about that. Possibly because it works really well.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hi boxcar. the best thing to do is pick up some veg tanned leather. leather when wet is like clay and you can mold it to the seat frame then screw or rivet it to the saddle frame. its a actually pretty easy to do and you will love the custom look when finished. also you will not sweat on a real leather seat like you would a fake leather and will form to your bottom. the key is take your time molding it then do not mess with it for at least a day till leather is totally dry. you will be amazed how it will hold its shape. take your time molding it around the seat from with your fingers. Best place to get leather is from tandy leather factory. They have a few stores in OR. also get a good finish for it when done. ad to this cut the piece way bigger then needed, easy to trim with a good exacto knife. a good brooks leather saddle costs 100's of dollars and with that frame you can make one that puts theirs to shame

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Beat that guys. I double dare ya!

Tom
Naw Intrepid Wheelwoman has one of the prettiest DIY engine assisted bicycles I've ever seen. It's lovely

I have an old VeloSolex from the late 60's, it's rather ratty in comparison.

This thread inspires me to do an engine conversion for my Rudge.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Oooooo nice :) I've always wanted a complete Velo Solex bike, but when they come up for sale here in NZ they are shockingly expensive due to their rarity.
To tell the truth though I think the engine looks much more at home on a classic looking bicycle and my Wu Yang handles very nicely despite the weight of the engine over the front forks.

And you have a Rudge Citi-sporter? - tell us more :D

(My apologies to Boxcar for blatant thread hi-jacking)

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
(My apologies to Boxcar for blatant thread hi-jacking)
No need, I like looking at old bikes 2.....
And I love the Wu Yang....
I ordered a Pigeon today .( TA02 ) Hope it looks half as nice with a CG on it....

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
If boxcar doesn't mind..

My Rudge men's 3 speed.

23" mens frame from 1951, the hub shell and frame dates match, it has oiler spigots for both the hubs, bottom bracket, and the hub's sprocket driver is threaded so I think everything is original, except for the Robin Hood (Raleigh) fenders.

Unfortunately the Oregon coastal anodizing has had it's way with it, so it's not as nice looking as it was in this photo. :(

@ IWW yes, I agree, in fact I think the bicycle part of the Velo is the worst part of it, because it has stranded me several times miles out from home and pedaling this lump, with it's short frame is a lot of work.

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Now that is a fine looking bike :) I have a frame for one of those hanging up in my workshop.
The Nottingham made Rudges usually had the Raleigh style mudguards, or at least all the ones I've seen here in New Zealand did. The older Birmingham Rudges had plain mudguards without the Raleigh style raised centre ridge.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
More progress :
I first mapped the location of all of the pin striping for reference .

See drawing behind seat:

Then started hand sanding parts... Some would call it a labor of love .
My wife thinks of me as very intense when I am striping parts..
She usually leaves the room...

I am lucky that this bike was lost in an attic . Lots of dry heat = almost no rust....

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
There is a certain beauty to hand built vintage bikes.

You gotta love old bike bits..........

The chain case has the most damage , small dents that are impossible to remove.
I decided not to fill the dents as the bike is nearly 100 years old .
And I hate Bondo.......
It turned out fairly well.
6 cotes of black lacquer , once I stripe the bike, it will get a few cotes of clear....

Well ...... back to work ....