Really cool

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's exactly why I bought it. It's also light enough (100 lbs) to lift up and put on a bicycle bumper rack on an RV. So ya can run down to the store and get some food/beer.

The TDub weighs 285.

Yup, a motorcycle with pedals, good brakes, long travel suspension and designed to be motorized with a one time CA $20 reg fee for life.

Mine even has electric start. Perfect - :)

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Hi Mike - couldn't find the post about the "wood fenders" and the 3000 k bike you bought "motoped" or somesuch.

Just saw your avatar and thought "Edward Woodard" - and so FYI the guys you are waiting on the bike from were bought out by Motovox.

just a heads up.

Motovox seems to be your stock stander dropshipper of pre-made Chinese crap.

truth be known I thinking about buying their MXB-11 (or somesuch) - here in Oklahoma, riding my Goped and passing 30 cops - I now know that riding a minibike with the usual mirrors/windscreen/etc..........will be no problem and at 400 bucks it hard to go wrong.

2-cents.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Cool little bike.
The problem is that for the same $ you can buy a pretty nice used crf 150
or small Yamadog
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item2edd8f5bb5&vxp=mtr
and kill the Motoped.
If ya want a dirt bike, get a dirt bike.
To me ( JMHO ) a motor assisted bicycle is just that.
A bicycle with a motor grafted to it.
The Motoped is a very small , and under-powered, motorcycle with peddles grafted to it.......
Still, it's a cool toy.
A motoped here in Texas could be riden on the street with no license, nor registration, no inspection.

This issue with owning one isn't cost for those who have them or want them, its about the fun and uniqueness of it and the fact that for some like us here in Texas you dont have to have a license to ride it on the street.

Personally Id want about a 125cc engine on it if I bought one, but I think they're a cool addition to the motorized bicycle hobby.

Many of us have motorcycles and some like myself and davezilla have more than one and we still enjoy the crap out of the motorized bicyles and dont mind putting some cash into them.

The Motopeds aren't made to be as powerful or as fast as a motorcycle so comparing them to motorcycles isnt an apples to apples comparison, we dont compare go-Karts to cars and trucks and we dont compare mini bikes to motorcycles and so we shouldn't compare a motoped to a motorcycle either.

Just my $0.02 on the motorcycle comparisn issue.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I would buy one tomorrow if I could run up to KC & load in the back of my truck.
But that's not the case. Those fellows at the show mislead me about this back order
thing. They told me two weeks. Not true! I don't under stand the promotion & money
there spending to generate sales when they can't deliver on the orders they have.

I may contact them & see. They did give me a invite to come up & view there place.

Fly

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yes they are selling faster than they can build 'em. Nice problem to have if you are in business. The best job security is a fat backlog.

I guess that also answers the question of weather or not the price is too high eh?

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Not sure if inspected you'd get away with a 150cc moped in any state.
I could be wrong. And probably am. After all, I'm from Oregon.....
The base engine would require licensing and insurance here.
The same machine is called a crf50 big wheel clone. ( Less the peddles )
Was sold as a pit bike for many years on ebay. May still be for all I know.
If ya want to build your own version , that's where i'd start looking for a donor ride.

Many of us have motorcycles and some like myself and davezilla have more than one and we still enjoy the crap out of the motorized bicyles and dont mind putting some cash into them.
I agree 100% I am guilty as charged.

The Motopeds aren't made to be as powerful or as fast as a motorcycle so comparing them to motorcycles isnt an apples to apples comparison, we dont compare go-Karts to cars and trucks and we dont compare mini bikes to motorcycles and so we shouldn't compare a motoped to a motorcycle either.
Comparing a Motoped to a motorized bicycle isn't exactly apples to apples either. After all the only bicycle parts on the thing are the peddles. Every thing else is motorcycle. As is the Motoped.

Don't get me wrong here. I love the thing.
Other than the shifting method. ( awkward )
I just don't see them lasting long in the market. ( Kind of a gimmick machine )
I think they will do more harm to the motorized bicycle community than good.
Will garner to much attention from government types and result in more restrictive laws..... Just me.

A motoped here in Texas could be riden on the street with no license, nor registration, no inspection

You'd better re think that last statement...

In Texas, the operation of any street-legal moped or scooter requires a Class M motorcycle license. To obtain a Class M license, you will need, among other things, to take a motorcycle safety course that's approved by the Department of Public Safety (DPS). But there is other important information you need to know before applying for your license.

The Texas Certified Moped List
The TX DPS recently published a list of certified mopeds meeting the legal definition of a moped. Don't see your bike on the list of certified mopeds? Ask yourself these questions:

Can it exceed 30 MPH?
Does it require shifting gears?
Does it have a piston displacement of more than 50 ccs?
If you answered yes to any of the questions, your moped is classified as a motorcycle. This means you are not eligible for the “K” restriction, and you require a Class M motorcycle license.

OOOOOPs. Looks like Texas laws are almost the same as Oregon.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
in Texas if it has pedals and has to be pedal assisted to take off its considered a bicycle and falls into a Grey area in our law that actually says it doesn't need to be licensed.

Now the motored does take off on its own so, after rethinking all of what I said earlier I would say the law could give you static about it if they wanted to, but in the area where I live and most of Texas for that matter, out laws tend to give room for people to to many things as lo g as they observe highway rules and ride safely and respecfully, in my area I see people actually riding mini bikes on the street and some even ride their riding mowers that have gearing changed and mower deck removed.

I have a friend who build the lawnmower pullers and drag racing mowers, we have those races around here and he has two mowers that will do almost 50mph in100yds and he drives these on the streets around here all the time, the laws here don't bother any of us so far knock on wood....

most small towns in Texas let people do a lot of things that aren't allowed in some other states and bigger cities, One of the many things I like about the state of Texas, we're not as burdened down with regulations as some states are, awe still have more than some of us like but we do have a lot of freedoms that allow us to pursue some this gas that aren't allowed in other parts of the country.

Im purdy sure I could ride a motored here and never have an issue with local laws long as I rode responsibly, but probably not in some of the bigger towns since the law in bigger cities doesn't seem to be as Conservative minded as small town Texas is.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Same here in Okla Map. There 125 must be licensed. But the other one
is 49 cc. Funny because I kept going back & forth from our booth to theres
talking to them. Two state High Way troopers were looking them over.

Of coarse they did not know the 125 from the 50 cc. That's why I would have choose
the 125 Ha, Ha.
Fly

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
I looked up the requirements and reg's through the Texas DMV.
This is a direct copy from the Texas DMV's web sight.

In Texas, the operation of any street-legal moped or scooter requires a Class M motorcycle license. To obtain a Class M license, you will need, among other things, to take a motorcycle safety course that's approved by the Department of Public Safety (DPS). But there is other important information you need to know before applying for your license.

The Texas Certified Moped List
The TX DPS recently published a list of certified mopeds meeting the legal definition of a moped. Don't see your bike on the list of certified mopeds? Ask yourself these questions:

Can it exceed 30 MPH?
Does it require shifting gears?
Does it have a piston displacement of more than 50 ccs?
If you answered yes to any of the questions, your moped is classified as a motorcycle. This means you are not eligible for the “K” restriction, and you require a Class M motorcycle license.
Basically if it shifts it's a motorcycle..... even below 50cc's Just like Oregon.
By that standard the China girl falls into gray law because it has a manual clutch. But no gears. At least in Oregon.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I looked up the requirements and reg's through the Texas DMV.
This is a direct copy from the Texas DMV's web sight.

Basically if it shifts it's a motorcycle..... even below 50cc's Just like Oregon.
By that standard the China girl falls into gray law because it has a manual clutch. But no gears. At least in Oregon.
Yes you are correct, my main point was that where I live I think I could ride a motoped without being bothered by the law accept that they may pull me over just to check it out and ask questions before telling me they want one also.

Its mainly about looking like your obeying the road laws and riding safely around here, like I said peopel even ride mini bikes through town sometimes and no one says a thing as long as they aren't acting stupid.

True Story, saw it with my own eyes...

A few years ago there was this one fella that road a big riding mower everywhere he went in town, he treid to stay on the sidewalks most of the time, but had to get on the road in some places and ride the shoulder, well he got his mower impounded and got hauled to jail one day.... I drove by and seen the laws talking to him and wondered what he had done to get their attention, well it turned out he was drunk as a skunk and swerving his mower all over the sidewalk, they pulled over and seen that he was 9 sheets in the wind and arrested him for DWI and impounded his mower...LOL!!!

What has the world come to when you cant have a few to many and zig zag your riding mower down the sidewalk....LOL!!!

I guess they were afraid he might run out into traffic and get killed or cause a wreck.