Basic clutch operating procedures...

GoldenMotor.com

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
Ok, the last thing I want to do is lock something up and fly over my handle bars. So, I'm trying to understand the baic operationg procedures of the clutch.

Ex. When and when not it gets used.

Correct the list as follows...

1) Clutch in & pedal to start, released after some pedaling to "pop" te engine.
2) Clutch out when riding on the motor.
3) Clutch in when wanting pedal power, regardless of if the engine is runnin.

Ok, here's my curiosities... like when coming to stop signs & what not conssidering the clutch needs to be in to pedal etc. If this isn't to much to ask could someone give me a basic run down of a small ride taking in to consideration things like lights, stop signs etc. The point of this project is for you to explain every clutch hold and release on a ride. Like I said, I just want to avoid any accidents my first time out that are in direct cause of improper clutch use.

Ex. I need to pedal to start / get goin for a bit but then come to a stop sign. Ok, I brake, sit at the stop sign for say 2 mins but to get going do I clutch in to pedal a bit before throttling so I dont dead spin the tire with clutch out to get going and put undue stress on the sprocket / tire or since the engines running I can oedal a bit then throttle up.

Ty !

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
Re: Basic clutch operationg procedures...

Clutch in when first starting up your bike, get in a few good pedals and pop the clutch to start the engine.Then ride at your leisure. When coming to a stop or a protracted period in where you won't use the engine like a long downhill, pull in the clutch. After a stop sign get in a few good pedals and release the clutch. It all sounds very complicated but after a ride or 2 it will be like second nature.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Re: Basic clutch operationg procedures...

I rarely use the pedals after starting the bike. I do have the 66/80CC though. I will use the pedals if taking off uphill, just a few turns. But other than that, I ride it like a motorcycle. Of course this means I will be replacing my clutch pads sooner, but their only about $10 and easy to replace. I've been riding my bike for almost a year with not even a clutch adjustment so far. I can't promise you this kind of luck, just saying.
So, the only time I pull in the clutch is for stops or moving so slow the engine bogs. I've been riding M.B's for about 9 years or so and doing it this way from the begining. I HAVE AN ENGINE, I DON'T PEDAL.(unless I have to.)
fatdaddy..wee.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you ever driven a car with a standard transmission? Same thing, except you don't pedal the car to get it rolling. However, there are some low powered economy cars out there that could benefit from having pedals. :)

Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
As long as the engine is running, you can pedal assist while the clutch is engaged (out) and you may sometimes need to, depending on your weight and what kind of terrain you ride in (whether there are any hills or not).

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
As long as the engine is running, you can pedal assist while the clutch is engaged (out) and you may sometimes need to, depending on your weight and what kind of terrain you ride in (whether there are any hills or not).
315 give or take a pound and some hills. I guess there's no harm in clutching in when stopping the pedaling to repop the clutch or whatever. But... what's popping the clutch do to an engine that's already running ?

Good to know on the pedal assist but even then id imagine u can only go so fast with the clutch out.

I also have the grubee skyhawk 66/80cc 2011 from kmb.

Sent from my PANTECH Crossover ™ on AT&T via Forum Runner.

Last edited:

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
Have you ever driven a car with a standard transmission? Same thing, except you don't pedal the car to get it rolling. However, there are some low powered economy cars out there that could benefit from having pedals. :)

Tom
No lol

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
To pedal or not to pedal, That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the pedals and chains of underpowered engines, or to take up arms against the sea of pedals and by opposing, end pedaling.

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
To pedal or not to pedal, That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the pedals and chains of underpowered engines, or to take up arms against the sea of pedals and by opposing, end pedaling.
Lol id be lyin if I said I didn't like that. That was pretty slick !